DCI and SOA being sued?

Unfortunately we don’t need others to “burn DCI to the ground”. DCI and some of its member corps are doing that themselves. And that is not the fault of any victims voicing the truth (just read the other Reddit thread on the Cascades)

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I’m not claiming this lawsuit can burn dci to the ground. So we can do a hard stop about that.  BUT - if it takes burning the activity to the ground to stop the sexual abuse of participants, then that’s what I’m for. It’s more important than wanting my 10 minute performances.  

I would agree, if you convinced me that the alternative (15-21 year olds left without constructive activity, supervision or guidance for 11 weeks while school is out for summer) is better.

7 minutes ago, anomaly said:

I want to make this explicitly clear before speculation starts. 

I do not want the activity eradicated. I want this activity corrected. People deserve safety. Performers are forking over thousands of dollars to experience abuse and mistreatment. It’s unacceptable. This is and always will be about making enough noise to make sure others are protected so this stuff stops happening. It’s about making sure the people who are supposed to protect performers, actually protect their performers. It’s about holding those accountable. This isn’t enjoyable for me. This isn’t fun. This is incredibly traumatic. This has taken me ample time to gain the courage to do. It’s disgusting no one followed their own policies or protected me when I was 16. It’s time to force a change. It’s disgusting how many people went unprotected. It’s shameful how many people are ostracized for speaking up. Prior performers, current performers, and future performers deserve more.

Thank you

No, please... thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Let’s be real. Everyone of us who’s ever been in this activity as a member, educator, board member, or administrator, all know that nothing will truly change until something gets burned to the ground. AND it threatens everyone else’s (at the top) livelihood. 

WE can be the change we want to see, but we need those at the top to actually feel pain before they will fully start to institute true prevention (and purge) of problematic individuals. 

hence why i said the word glimmer. 

sadly burnt to the ground for DCi means forever death.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

"Burned to the ground"?  I expect this nonsense to be posted right about now... surprised at the source, though.

By the way, Oregon Crusaders, Pioneer, Shadow and YEA! have already been burned to the ground, before the Spirit incident took place.  

true, but aside from one legal action against one person that ended in a plea, nothing else happened that went after the mothership.

remember DCI is the corps. legal bills take from what the corps get paid. and depending on how a trial plays out, it could ruin DCi financially....which in turns cripples the corps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anomaly said:

I do not want the activity eradicated. I want this activity corrected. People deserve safety. Performers are forking over thousands of dollars to experience abuse and mistreatment. It’s unacceptable. This is and always will be about making enough noise to make sure others are protected so this stuff stops happening. It’s about making sure the people who are supposed to protect performers, actually protect their performers. It’s about holding those accountable. This isn’t enjoyable for me. This isn’t fun. This is incredibly traumatic. This has taken me ample time to gain the courage to do. It’s disgusting no one followed their own policies or protected me when I was 16. It’s time to force a change. It’s disgusting how many people went unprotected. It’s shameful how many people are ostracized for speaking up. Prior performers, current performers, and future performers deserve more.

Thank you

thank you for coming forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

If I hear you correctly, you are suggesting that member safety does not/will not matter to leadership if the corps (plural) who burn to the ground over it score below 90?  But that it suddenly will matter if a sufficiently high-ranking corps combusts?

Need I remind you that we (and they) just spent the past year watching our 5th-place corps flame out financially.  Did that bring big change to the DCI financial model?  (Did it bring any such change?)

These two circumstances aren’t even close in comparison. People are worth more than money.  (Read that again) 

a corps that can’t manage its own money no one cares about. (This isn’t new… there were decades of corps as loved or in some cases more loved than SCV that went belly up and it didn’t make the org flinch) dci is happier why corps flame out that way. Means they won’t take anyone with them. 

But human mistreatment. (Youth mistreatment actually) If there actually was zero tolerance for it, this stuff would have stopped years, or even decades ago. How long did it take for hazing to go away? Has it actually?  Sexual assault isn’t new in drum corps.  What’s new is that people finally feel they can come forth about it. (Shame we can’t get Hopkins actually banned from fields, or that dci doesn’t have the balls to enforce it…  think about that for a minute)  

Now Regardless of the BS on the webpage. Member safety isn’t the top priority. It may not even be in The top 3 priorities.    

Remember this though. the org is expected to be oversight. 

And when the  corps is not doing its due diligence, and then dci not doing it’s due diligence, or even sort of mildly thinking about almost doing due diligence, has lead to us out here in the virtual pitch reading repeatedly about the same ol ****  happening because the org has a problem with oversight. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, anomaly said:

Thank you

Thank you for coming forward. I do not believe your intent is to eradicate it. I do unfortunately believe, that for change to happen, which needs to happen, that the entire org needs to feel the affects of this. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, anomaly said:

Thank you

First off - thank you for your courage.  

Second - those who say the abused members who report, post, sue Corps and/or DCI want to ‘burn it to the ground’ are victim blaming.  

If this scandal does mean the end of DCI, it is the Corps’ (who are DCI) fault for repeatedly refusing to eliminate abusers, both staff and members, from the activity.  

If DCI burns to the ground, well the Corps only need to look into a mirror to see why.