DCI and SOA being sued?

One more thing I have thought about.  
The investigative reporting team of the Indianapolis Star broke the Larry Nassar / USA Gymnastics scandal.  As Indianapolis is the ground zero of marching arts, I suspect sooner or later they may start sniffing around, and we all know, or at least strongly suspect, there are many buried skeletons to be found. 

7 hours ago, C.Holland said:

These two circumstances aren’t even close in comparison. People are worth more than money.  (Read that again) 

Which is it, then?

1.  If it were that simple, and leadership felt the same way, we would not be having this discussion.

2.  If we burn a top corps to the ground via an abuse lawsuit verdict (financial penalty), that suggests money is worth more than people in practice.

3.  Why a top corps?  Are you implying that leadership feels only people in top corps are worth more than money?  That is funny, because... 

4.  ... reviewing DCI actions, I would have to conclude people in lower corps are considered worth more than people in top corps.

10 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I know the DCI is the Corps mantra, but what do the actual legal documents for DCI’s incorporation say?

Those are the questions I have for both the DCI & SOA organizations. I'm sure they have liability protection through their insurance companies for these type of issues. I'm sure this will be litigated according to the state laws of Georgia & will probably lead to a settlement with their insurance provider.

But what about the DCI component which is based in Indiana? It seems like there would need to be a filing in the State of Indiana?

As public educators, we have, or should have, liability protection through our school system as well as personal protection provided via our professional educators association.  (I know some states are different with some educators purchasing their own liability protection.) 

Another question: some events accorded in the state of Alabama & possibly other states. I'm sure they have secured a competent law firm, but it could get really complicated.  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

30 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

2.  If we burn a top corps to the ground via an abuse lawsuit verdict (financial penalty), that suggests money is worth more than people in practice.

If things get that bad with a corps  that a lawsuit is only recourse I’d say the corps is putting placement/money above people (members).

Sometimes threatening a hit to the money is what gets attention or results.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

25 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

One more thing I have thought about.  
The investigative reporting team of the Indianapolis Star broke the Larry Nassar / USA Gymnastics scandal.  As Indianapolis is the ground zero of marching arts, I suspect sooner or later they may start sniffing around, and we all know, or at least strongly suspect, there are many buried skeletons to be found. 

I know several people reached out to Naldony every time a new issue came out, but I guess this isn’t her wheelhouse since she went to USA Today.

on the other hand if I were an attorney I’d encourage my client to be less public. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Those are the questions I have for both the DCI & SOA organizations. I'm sure they have liability protection through their insurance companies for these type of issues. I'm sure this will be litigated according to the state laws of Georgia & will probably lead to a settlement with their insurance provider.

But what about the DCI component which is based in Indiana? It seems like there would need to be a filing in the State of Indiana?

As public educators, we have, or should have, liability protection through our school system as well as personal protection provided via our professional educators association.  (I know some states are different with some educators purchasing their own liability protection.) 

Another question: some events accorded in the state of Alabama & possibly other states. I'm sure they have secured a competent law firm, but it could get really complicated.  

As it crosses State lines I wonder if it will end up in Federal court?  Not sure how that works for civil matters filed in State court (my experience is in the Federal system as I was part of the deep state (I escaped)). 

But this is the opening salvo in what may be a long process, esp if it goes to trial.     We are potentially looking at years here.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Clarity
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Broken or we hear a lot more now because of the internet, procedures are in place to deal with this and (most important imo) people are less afraid/ashamed to speak up when it happens to them 

You're right on.  This sort of stuff has always happened.  I'm a band director and have heard lots of "back in the day" stories that ended with the director just moving on to another job because the family didn't want to be embarrassed in the community, the school didn't want to be embarrassed, etc.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, lowend said:

You're right on.  This sort of stuff has always happened.  I'm a band director and have heard lots of "back in the day" stories that ended with the director just moving on to another job because the family didn't want to be embarrassed in the community, the school didn't want to be embarrassed, etc.  

Started working at DoD in 1980 in IT. Pretty much all male and all white then. Lot of what I heard said in the open was pretty toxic and if anyone complained they were laughed at. Today whole different story, thank goodness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Second - those who say the abused members who report, post, sue Corps and/or DCI want to ‘burn it to the ground’ are victim blaming.  

In case clarification is needed:

1.  The only people I engage with regarding "burn to the ground" are people who use those words.

2.  I do not believe any rational person thinks "burn to the ground" is the preferred solution (or even a solution).  It is something people say when so frustrated that they think there is no solution.

3.  In all the eventful years of such topics in this activity, I do not recall EVER hearing a survivor use those words.