Cadets Suspend for 2024

This is such devastating news. It saddens me greatly to learn of this.  This Corps and its accomplishments are legendary. 90 years. Began in 1934, before WW2.  I thought they showed remarkable tenacity and resilience to weather the Hopkins saga fall out, and thought they were on the right track in 2022, 2023 to return to stability and regain their former stature. Now this.

I feel awful.  I sincerely hope this is not the end of the Cadets. I hope there are people there and in their alum base that can set aside any disappointments they might have with their former Corps for one reason or another and not let their Corps die. I really hope this ultimately turns out to be just a one year hiatus. " For Holy Name, Shall Always Be ". 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

But still basically the same. Diesel during the summer months this year was basically where it was a decade ago

18 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

What the breakdown per.  Saying all that stuff equates to 2.6%..I don't see it considering the other verbiage.

I don’t have any more specific information that what is in their full infographic. They simply list props, music licensing, and electronics…

what I know from helping on tour this year revolves around the aluminum frames at the front of the field. 20 of them, at about 8’ by 4’, with a fold out leg assembly, custom welded by a local area shop. They only charged them three figures. The guy definitely lost money just on materials. And those will be reusable for several seasons, there were talks of selling them after the season too  sometime costs can be recouped that way.

Regardless, we’re off topic a bit. This is about Cadets, not SOA

What should we be more surprised about?

- Cadets calling off 2024

- press release saying "its not a spending problem, its a revenue problem"

- only two hours into this thread, people are defending/deflecting about non-essential expenses such as props and electronics

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

- only two hours into this thread, people are defending/deflecting about non-essential expenses such as props and electronics

Yes.   

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The problem is, some of these can be related. 

When you spend a couple decades basically telling everyone "if you don't like it, shut up or go away", even if the costs of those things aren't large directly, there can be indirect costs in that you push away people so they're no longer around when they get to a point in their life they have the free cash to make donations.

I don't even hate all the changes the way some do, but the message of "if you don't like it GTFO" has certainly been loud and clear and I know many people who were big marching arts people who have little interest in drum corps today due to how much its changed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, AlexL said:

The problem is, some of these can be related. 

When you spend a couple decades basically telling everyone "if you don't like it, shut up or go away", even if the costs of those things aren't large directly, there can be indirect costs in that you push away people so they're no longer around when they get to a point in their life they have the free cash to make donations.

I don't even hate all the changes the way some do, but the message of "if you don't like it GTFO" has certainly been loud and clear and I know many people who were big marching arts people who have little interest in drum corps today due to how much its changed. 

EXACTLY RIGHT!