Cadets Suspend for 2024

I watched Filliniesque this week and was struck by how sparse the field was. Almost no props. Highest scoring show of all time. Today I am not sure that show wins Gold.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, scout9193 said:

that is absolutely part of this equation because you can’t take those two items and isolation. There’s a cost involved to purchase, maintain and transport, as well as a cost in personnel of those not on the field to do the same.

Everything has a cost. Are you saying that the corps have no agency to know that an extra truck is going to add x amount to tour costs? 

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Everything has a cost. Are you saying that the corps have no agency to know that an extra truck is going to add x amount to tour costs? 

They should and I would expect full well the cost. My point is there is a necessity they have in their mind to keep up that can override sound financial decisions. I see it every day in my current work don’t know what you do, but I can assure you, the need to keep up with your competition as a double edged sword financially 

Edited by scout9193
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, scout9193 said:

Brain dead wrong? You’re brain dead if you don’t think they add a substantial cost.

Substantial????? You mean 2.6% of the total budget and less than 10% of the fuel budget? 

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

Substantial????? You mean 2.6% of the total budget and less than 10% of the fuel budget? 

2.6% can yes add a lot of money 2.6% of five dollars is one thing 2.6 percent of 100 or 1000 or 10,000 or more a different animal.

Edited by scout9193

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

If you want to have a serious conversation, telling people to "shut up" is a funny way to start it off.

I understand the issue fully.  Drum corps is wicked expensive.  Some of that expense is unavoidable.  The rest of the expenses all have their constituents who shriek the instant you suggest cutting their favorite luxury.  Deny, deflect, or just disrupt any further discussion.

Evolve?  I have been hearing the phrase "evolve or die" in defense of every costly change to drum corps.  Sorry, but when "evolve or die" becomes "evolve and die", it is not evolution.

The costly changes to drum corps have nothing to do with props or electronics. They have everything to do with more choices for summer activities which makes local groups less attainable. 

Just now, ContraFart said:

The costly changes to drum corps have nothing to do with props or electronics. They have everything to do with more choices for summer activities which makes local groups less attainable. 

I guess we’re gonna have to agree to disagree on that. Props and electronics or just one piece but if you think they don’t impact “costly changes.” then you were absolutely wrong.

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

What would that be in dollar amounts? 
And the old saying of: couple drops here, couple drops there.. and eventually the bucket overflows. 

• Like 1

Just now, scout9193 said:

2.6% can yes add a lot of money 2.6% of five dollars is one thing 2.6 percent of 100 or 1000 or 10,000 or more a different animal.

That 2.6% includes rights fees and other ancillary costs. 

You are complaining about the smallest line item in the budget being the biggest problem. 

• Thanks 1