Cadets Suspend for 2024

2 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

As for the BAC board, it's pay-to-play; every member is expected to provide an annual minimum 4-figure donation. On such a large board, the multiplier effect is not insignificant. Board members are selected for one purpose only: to leverage their connections to bring money to the organization. They also happen to be passionate about the corps and the youth mission. But people who are merely passionate do not get invited to the board, for the most part.

I’ve watched more than a few arts boards with way too many passionate people missing either the ability to get the money donated or to donate their income themselves.  Those groups are all now dead. Non producing. 

3 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Sorry to say this, but in my opinion of the whole ….

“By us for us, we know best mentality”  doesn’t work.   Clearly, a lot of them/ corps administrations have no idea how finances work, because so many corps have struggled to stay afloat and even more corps have left us due to financial reasons.  There needs to be a lot of administrative overhaul because like the quote says …

“it’s not possible to solve a problem with the same thinking that created it” 

I’d say: if a corps had a million dollars budget for more than 20 years, that corps shouldn’t have problem today. Unless it lack vision. 

4 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

I’ve watched more than a few arts boards with way too many passionate people missing either the ability to get the money donated or to donate their income themselves.  Those groups are all now dead. Non producing. 

I don't doubt it. ASPIRE has done what is necessary to run a WC corps in a financially sustainable way, and all props to them.

It's another question whether their model can work outside of Boston.

16 minutes ago, TenHut said:

I was promoting a very similar model 10 years ago which would eliminate corps membership from outside of the region they line in. The current model of mostly out of state membership isn't sustainable. Corps need to recruit members and staff close to home. Make it a community activity again.

Over the years I’ve read posts that lot of members want to be in their “dream corps” or nothing. Reasons were if they were going to spend that amount of money or be a rook-out, then only being in their dream corps would be worth while. 

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Over the years I’ve read posts that lot of members want to be in their “dream corps” or nothing. Reasons were if they were going to spend that amount of money or be a rook-out, then only being in their dream corps would be worth while. 

Students now only get a few seasons to march. And they go to places where they enjoy the programming, and the staff. If you want to tell a student “sorry kid, you’re stuck with (corps names)” you’re going to kill corps much faster when they can’t fill ranks and you’ve now made the activity give students a bad taste. 

now that doesn’t mean a student doesn’t take their closest option to start out for a season or two to learn. But they then often go to audition for one or two of the places they really like. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I don't doubt it. ASPIRE has done what is necessary to run a WC corps in a financially sustainable way, and all props to them.

It's another question whether their model can work outside of Boston.

I think a few others make those hard decisons and stick to the budget. But also have found board members who WANT to raise money. That’s the really hard part. In-kind donations only go so far.  

2 hours ago, ContraFart said:

so lets keep moving the goal posts to fit what you want and not what the organization would deem a successful season. 

I don’t what is too much spending or not because I am not an insider of those corps. However I know solvant corps today with outside revenus used past profit to reinvest in fundraising venture. Be it an event, a corps hall, investment market, related company, etc. 

You can spend all you have every year. But putting a saving line in the budget it a necessity. Even more nowadays. 

Edited by Old Guy

5 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Students now only get a few seasons to march. And they go to places where they enjoy the programming, and the staff. If you want to tell a student “sorry kid, you’re stuck with (corps names)” you’re going to kill corps much faster when they can’t fill ranks and you’ve now made the activity give students a bad taste. 

now that doesn’t mean a student doesn’t take their closest option to start out for a season or two to learn. But they then often go to audition for one or two of the places they really like. 

Also remember reading a few posts saying that due to school, internships and/or cost they only have one season they can do corps. So make it worth their while or nothing.

And let’s face it, some parts of the country the nearest corps ain’t that close….

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

And again like a broken record and say that we do not have the number of corps needed to sustain a regional model. You would isolate corps like SOA and Troopers and make things worse overall competitively. We are stuck with the national model. 

I would at least not required/bring all the world class at the same place every weekend. This does not help the lower world class corps neither the open class corps that stay home without any other show to compete at. 

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

I wouldn't say that. I have a pretty good idea through context. 

Oh, so you need context?  A little deja-vu from 11 years ago... 

On 10/22/2012 at 10:40 PM, Iplaytimpani said:

I now I personally appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. But can we at least TRY and have a decent conversation on dcp that doesn't get into our own personal thoughts and agendas.

On 10/23/2012 at 8:27 AM, cixelsyd said:

What if your personal agenda is balancing drum corps budgets?

Not everything being said here is a personal agenda. I suggest, in this context, that a corps may need to cut costs to balance their budget, and that generally, DCI may need to consider rule and policy changes that lower the cost of competing at the highest levels. Costs have increased as the equipment has evolved. Personally, I like some of those changes - but if drum corps cannot afford them, something has to give. Of course, travel and touring costs have also increased over time, so maybe those costs can be reduced instead.

Like I said, this is not the first time I have proposed other cost cutting ideas.  

• Like 1