Cadets Suspend for 2024

3 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I get what you're saying, but I'm dubious that a solution is as plug-and-play as "hire a seasoned np development professional." I put it in the necessary-but-insufficient category.

Boston indeed is a model. It is not a readily replicable model. It has been built on the back of a large board of very well-connected people, it's true. But a big and well-connected board is not the entire story in Boston.

First of all, it's Boston. Outside of NY, it's the epicenter of the U.S. financial-services industry. When it comes to grant writing, it is, as they say, a target-rich environment -- one that also happens to be local (a twofer!) to the grant officers at these global financial behemoths. Boston is a major metro that, outside of Surf 3 states away, is home to the only WC corps in New England and the Mid-Atlantic. You need to go all the way to Canton or Fort Mill to find another.

Boston has diversified its revenue. It bought an entire music festival. And a music-instrument retail operation. Perhaps only BD has a more robust and diversified revenue stream.

As for the BAC board, it's pay-to-play; every member is expected to provide an annual minimum 4-figure donation. On such a large board, the multiplier effect is not insignificant. Board members are selected for one purpose only: to leverage their connections to bring money to the organization. They also happen to be passionate about the corps and the youth mission. But people who are merely passionate do not get invited to the board, for the most part.

The leadership in Boston is stellar and it is to be commended for taking advantage of its opportunities — opportunities, it should be said, that are available only to a monopoly organization that has a financially bottomless local market all to itself. 

Try to replicate that in Casper. Or even San Antonio, or Madison. Get the best "seasoned np development professional" you want; no doubt it will help, but I don't think it offers salvation. Madison is a nice place. There is money in Madison. But it ain't Boston. 

Boston is playing by the standard np model playbook though. Yes they're in a metropolis.

But again, I've worked with NPs that aren't in major cities that use this model and still make it work very well. They pull in, again, roughly the same amount corps are looking for.

The roadblocks you're imagining aren't insurmountable. Ohio has a spectacular arts np support system. Yes, Ohio. The np I keep bringing up that I worked for previously is in NC.

Also, I'm not offering a plug and play 'cause those don't exist. I'm offering one additional solution that should fit within a thoughtful, diversified portfolio of revenue streams.

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Agree with you. While feasible, that is monumental task before you get there. It’s the goal but you need the special sauce to get there.  Right people, right time, lots of leadership and commitment (lot more than what people think it takes)

It took a while to build up Bostons BoD because it’s what it took.  You increase a BoD by asking people to be on it, once the “starter” board, if you will, is in place and your mission to establish a sustainable foundation is clear and committed.  Once you reach that point, with all board members functioning in roles they take on or are experienced in, progress can be made.  It takes commitment and institutional discipline. Having a large board that allows tasks to be shared, does help lessen each board members personal time commitment.  And board members do not have to be geographically restrained. That enables virtual board meetings along with a few in person meetings throughout the year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I was responding to a comment saying DCI should put a cap limit on how many staff a corps can have. 

There is no way dci can control how many staff 1000 miles away a corps have for a specific day. 

But they can limit how many passes each corps get for staff. 

I believe passes are limited.

5 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

It took a while to build up Bostons BoD because it’s what it took.  You increase a BoD by asking people to be on it, once the “starter” board, if you will, is in place and your mission to establish a sustainable foundation is clear and committed.  Once you reach that point, with all board members functioning in roles they take on or are experienced in, progress can be made.  It takes commitment and institutional discipline. Having a large board that allows tasks to be shared, does help lessen each board members personal time commitment.  And board members do not have to be geographically restrained. That enables virtual board meetings along with a few in person meetings throughout the year.

Ya know, rocket science, lol.

In all seriousness, this is how it works and has worked for a long time now all day every day in healthy nps. It's just that most corps don't seem to have healthy boards.

3 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I already said that we cannot speculate on why Cadets are out this season, but I will bet everything I own and will ever own that is it not props and electronics that is keeping them off the field next summer and they are not reason they are in this position. Trimming 3% off the top is not the make or break of getting a corps down the road, if it is, then they should not be on the road in the first place. 

Have you ever considered that maybe they are doing the right thing by taking a year off? That maybe they could get down the road this summer, but it would make things worse long term? It sucks, yes, but making the call this early was smart and responsible. 

It is getting clearer that a couple of critical factors got Cadets to this point.  First was Unchecked and unreported spending by the former CEO.  When the BoD became aware, fairly recently,  how serious that was. Secondly it was  coupled with the CEO not working towards having or creating any substantial revenue streams.  The prospect of having no money coming in, other than member fees and tuition, the plug was pulled.  Debts had been paid, frugality in the corps production was adhered to, but the unchecked spend and no revenue prospects was too much to move forward for 24. 

10 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

She plays a long game of cold revenge. 

and she had the time of her life and the little one got to see her mommy on the turf at Beaver Stadium. in the end....it's family supporting family.

then blasting the heat on the ride home to dry out

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I must have read that differently than you because I understood it as people knew Cadets were making this call a week ago and referred to those posts, but I could be wrong about that 

from what i hear more is coming

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Yes I deny the costs are worth cutting, because they are not the problem and account for the smallest line items on a touring budget. I find it both suspicious and frustrating that the things that the vocal minority seem to hate the most are the things that people seem to want to cut first. You have no idea what is causing Cadets to fold, but I will bet you every penny I will ever make for the rest of my life it wasnt effing props and uniforms. 

I am not deflecting anything, you are moving the goal posts by making me solve the troubles of the entire activity for you to even listen to my argument. If I had those answers, I would be DCI CEO. NP boards have been struggling with this issue for years, you arent going to find the secret of revenue from me. 

Who I have I called names? I have used the term "dino" in the abstract, but never directed it an anyone in particular. I also clarified in another comment that I use the term to describe a mindset and not an age. 

you deny those costs lead to other costs in others of the balance sheet.

don't get me wrong...i'm not advocating props, electronics etc need cut. but they do require a seperate vehicle to haul...that leads to vehicle and fuel costs. it requires people to maintain/move etc....more sleeping space, which leads to more vehicles to haul and fuel, plus then food and necessitate the need for larger housing costs.

so while show design may suffer if cuts are made, there are budgetary concerns that aren't classified under show production.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ContraFart said:

The only ways to cut food fuel and housing costs is to have shorter tours with less shows. DCI has already shortened the tour by 2 weeks and fewer shows is detrimental rather than useful. We no longer have the amount of corps required to sustain any type of regional model and new corps are not going to appear out of nowhere to create that infrastructure. We either have to learn how to amend the current national tour model or shut down all together. 

I am not going to have all of the answers and to expect me to is the ultimate straw man. Corps such as BD, Crown, Colts, Music City, Bluecoats, BAC and Cavaliers have all created organizations that can withstand the current model and diversify revenue. Can every corps do what they do? No, but they are at least models to start the search. 

yes tour was shortened so come corps extended spring training. so extra time paying for housing and food....and in some cases they change locations, so that leads to transportation costs also.

8 hours ago, skevinp said:

Saying something once is calling it out.  

Saying it 50 times renders the phrase “loud vocal minority” astoundingly hypocritical. 

don't mention a 10 score if someone falls.

• Haha 1