Mandarins Caption Head team returns for 2024!

We are excited to announce the return of our Caption Head team for the Year of the Dragon in 2024! With this announcement, we also welcome back some familiar faces in new roles! Griffin Law in his new role as Audio Team Manager, and Andy Filipiak joining our team of talented Ensemble Coordinators! Stay tuned […]

View the full article

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I'm sure they coordinate the conducting patterns for the material.  For example: 

4/4 time signature = 'down, in, out, up'

3/4 time signature = 'down, out, up' 

etc...

It's pretty simple... 👀

And then there's 7 which is like flipping half of the bat signal upside down and leaving the other half...

In all seriousness, Mandi's should have a great season with this staff coming back. I wonder how much battery and pit talent they'll get. I see another stellar year for percussion in our future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

I'm sure they coordinate the conducting patterns for the material.  For example: 

4/4 time signature = 'down, in, out, up'

3/4 time signature = 'down, out, up' 

etc...

It's pretty simple... 👀

I figured they served as guides for the 10 drum majors corps have nowadays. Plus, it never hurts anything to add staff headcount, right? 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Will need a 'Drum Major' bus 😂 

Oh God...that might even be worse then 18 drummers all gooking at the same time. A bus full of DM's all conducting in oddball time signatures simultaneously. NOPE

• Haha 2

On 10/17/2023 at 7:01 PM, ElSuarez said:

What does a "Drum Major Coordinator" do?

There is a lot that goes into being a drum major in todays corps. 
A lot of DMs spend countless hours doing score studies between camps and before moving in with the corps to make sure that they are setting the ensemble up for the best success possible. 
I am assuming that the Mandarins DM coordinator helps make sure that they are running rehearsal as efficiently and as effortlessly as possible, because that is something that takes getting used to and is frankly extremely nerve wracking. Learning how to run any rehearsal and deal with rehearsal etiquette is something that most corps throw DMs into without any prior knowledge and making sure that they are on their game for this early will help prevent early season hiccups during spring training or camps. 

Also a DM coordinator can help double check timing and make sure that the DMs are starting things exactly on tempo and not rushing or dragging. 

I remember in 2022 starting the show a few times at comps ~200. The written tempo was 188. It was never an issue because the battery and hornline could do it, but no one ever let me know until we had a staff member who was acting as a DM coordinator double check me.

I know this thread is laughing about the amount of DMs corps have today. But I promise that they are extremely useful and having a large team relieves so much headaches from the DMs as well as the staff. 

With a team of four DM's you can have all three on the front conducting and someone in the back running met for the corps. That way the timing responsibilities are being rehearsed as much as they can. Why remove a DM to have them run met when a marcher on the field will be using them for a timing. 
And you can send DMs around to make sure that staff can adequately teach rather than having to worry about the met and running the met. 
You can send a DM to battery to run the met and let the staff do their jobs and teach. 
In 22 when I was the sole Drum Major running the entire corps, having rehearsal assistants be able to run the met kept a massive weight off my shoulders. 

There is so much that goes into being a modern drum major nowadays. 

It's not just ignoring leadership and waving your arms fancy like certain corps. 

Edited by fighterkit
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

There is a lot that goes into being a drum major in todays corps. 
A lot of DMs spend countless hours doing score studies between camps and before moving in with the corps to make sure that they are setting the ensemble up for the best success possible. 
I am assuming that the Mandarins DM coordinator helps make sure that they are running rehearsal as efficiently and as effortlessly as possible, because that is something that takes getting used to and is frankly extremely nerve wracking. Learning how to run any rehearsal and deal with rehearsal etiquette is something that most corps throw DMs into without any prior knowledge and making sure that they are on their game for this early will help prevent early season hiccups during spring training or camps. 

Also a DM coordinator can help double check timing and make sure that the DMs are starting things exactly on tempo and not rushing or dragging. 

I remember in 2022 starting the show a few times at comps ~200. The written tempo was 188. It was never an issue because the battery and hornline could do it, but no one ever let me know until we had a staff member who was acting as a DM coordinator double check me.

I know this thread is laughing about the amount of DMs corps have today. But I promise that they are extremely useful and having a large team relieves so much headaches from the DMs as well as the staff. 

With a team of four DM's you can have all three on the front conducting and someone in the back running met for the corps. That way the timing responsibilities are being rehearsed as much as they can. Why remove a DM to have them run met when a marcher on the field will be using them for a timing. 
And you can send DMs around to make sure that staff can adequately teach rather than having to worry about the met and running the met. 
You can send a DM to battery to run the met and let the staff do their jobs and teach. 
In 22 when I was the sole Drum Major running the entire corps, having rehearsal assistants be able to run the met kept a massive weight off my shoulders. 

There is so much that goes into being a modern drum major nowadays. 

It's not just ignoring leadership and waving your arms fancy like certain corps. 

Who's drum majors are you referring to?