Real ideas for sustainability & revenue

9 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

With the way this topic has been going I figured I had best put the qualifier in so no one jumped down my throat. 

I can’t lie. I was impressed by the loan shark initiative. He was still alive so he must have paid it back.  He didn’t look like he’d gotten an ### whoopin’ from one of da boyz. 

• Haha 1

Incoming word vomit. I've often thought the corps should travel in larger groups (maybe based on corps location or competitive groupings?) similar to a circus. A new town every week (stop doing midweek competitions in general). Have a parade at the beginning of the week, then a large competition on the weekends. Groups could look for events in the area small groups or even the entire group could perform. Use the food trucks to sell food to the public (similar to a food truck rodeo) etc. Provide clinics to schools in the area. Perform at churches for love offerings etc. This would spread awareness and maybe make a good buck. Yes I am aware this could cost money as well. Just spit balling ideas. Maybe something will stick. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jimmyjames said:

Incoming word vomit. I've often thought the corps should travel in larger groups (maybe based on corps location or competitive groupings?) similar to a circus. A new town every week (stop doing midweek competitions in general). Have a parade at the beginning of the week, then a large competition on the weekends. Groups could look for events in the area small groups or even the entire group could perform. Use the food trucks to sell food to the public (similar to a food truck rodeo) etc. Provide clinics to schools in the area. Perform at churches for love offerings etc. This would spread awareness and maybe make a good buck. Yes I am aware this could cost money as well. Just spit balling ideas. Maybe something will stick. 

This sounds vaguely familiar…😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Jimmyjames said:

Good ideas here.  There will be difficulties w/ the food truck selling food because it competes w/ local establishments, plus there are differences in health department requirements from location to location that would likely drive the food staff nuts.  Also, sales taxes may need to be collected & paid, which is another headache.  But the Combine idea has merit.  

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Good ideas here.  There will be difficulties w/ the food truck selling food because it competes w/ local establishments, plus there are differences in health department requirements from location to location that would likely drive the food staff nuts.  Also, sales taxes may need to be collected & paid, which is another headache.  But the Combine idea has merit.  

Possibly something similar to pepwear but for food trucks? (lol) All of the organization operate under one major name and then the profits are dispersed as earned? I understand what you are saying, though. I just feel like long gone are the days where joe random hears about a drum corps competition and is like, "I think I'll go try that." DCI needs something that will get new butts in the seats. I feel like they have relied on marching members and current fans too much to do that for them. Hopefully that makes sense. 

2 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Annndddd getting back on topic, while the list presented on the first page of this thread is a great list and clearly has provided income to corps in the past, I think corps need to start getting more creative. More corporate sponsorships outside of the music activity. More income driven initiatives that aren't bingo halls, but maybe are more like bingo halls. VFW runs clubs, maybe a corps needs to start a club. All LEGAL options should be on the table in order to sustain the activity. 

i once mentioned approaching under armour for rehearsal gear and was told A) they weren't interested in band, B) band wasn't big enough and c) dci didn't have the right marketing approach. so i'm sure they're happy with spirit wear or whatever company most corps are getting their stuff from, but my god the marketing and sponsorship opportunies a company like Under Armour could offer. or Gatorade. Hell Icy Hot. 

but to get people with the skills and contacts to create those opportunities, DCI would have to pay big $$. and well, then thats less back to the corps....initially. but the long game is never played or explored except the disastrous plan for where finals went in the 90's, and now the deal with Indy

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

This sounds vaguely familiar…😉

under the letter G........7

BINGO!

• Like 2

One word to fix all revenue problems:

SWIFTIES!!!!! 

• Haha 2