What is wrong with US?

2 hours ago, David Hill said:

Mr. Ream is correct.

The entire administrative set-up of DCI is fraught. There are no checks and balances built into the system. So guess what; said checks and balances come from interested parties from outside, and inside, the organizations involved. Only problem? We have no teeth to affect change. Should be a better way.

The old man said almost exactly what you’ve said after I showed him this thread. 

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

It may not be the most effective in every case, but it's one strategy among many. If we shut that down as an option, when corps directors and BODs read here, then we're essentially making that strategy less effective. Sometimes the worst case scenario (in the case of the aforementioned DCPer/SCV alum who disclosed physical assault) public documentation on social media is their only recourse. The statute of limitations assures that. So, in the very least, social media serves that purpose, especially when corps orgs don't want to hear it.

And I'm not sure those without all the context, as you've said are the readers here, have enough information to judge whether folks have an ax to grind or not. I'm not sure you can claim both "there's not enough context" and "they've got an ax to grind" in good faith.

In my case, the first step I took was following up after being asked to join the board at VMAPA, after telling them about the abuse. And as I've stated, I've been in dialogue with them on a number of occasions since. Another whistleblower for VMAPA was on the board and helped clean up bingo fraud around the time you and I were marching. So, questioning motives and strategies here lacks context again.

The no context thing is just the nature of the beast when there is no legitimate outlet for these complaints, which I've tried to be very clear about.

The steps you recommended were starting at the bottom and working your way up. Many of us have done that. What else do you have? I've contacted: MAASIN, the US Center for Safe Sport, The Army of Survivors, The Courage First Athletes Helpline, Tricia Nadolny (directly), DCI Whistleblower, VMAPA Whistleblower and alumni association and historical society, Phantom Regiment Whistleblower, Crown Whistleblower, BD Whistleblower, Academy Whistleblower. Response is almost always the same. I've used reddit and DCP also, regarding social media platforms. Where have I gone wrong? And, further, what more is expected of younger or less experienced survivors/whistleblowers who don't know where to go?

Your post seems to infer that what I've said refers to you, which it is not. I've seen a lot of what you've done last year so I am not trying to make any issue of the steps you've taken. What I am saying is there are people who come here to do exactly what I pointed out, like one of the threads yesterday that was taken down. There was a DCP member who explicitly stated they were available for questions, or to clear things up, or to set the record straight. The post was STILL inserted into another thread even when the original thread was closed and when the entire subject was cleared up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lance said:

I thought this was going to be an OT thread to broadcast our personal problems.  Ironically, that's what it kinda is.  

I don't mind the mods closing it if it dissolves into anything else.

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

First off, I'm not "complaining" and you can leave your little attitude at the door. I am simply saying if people really want to solve an issue, DCP is not the place to do it. 

Second, I'm pointing out an issue that is ridiculous in my view. As I've said in my original post, I think it's right to point out when drum corps have done things that need to be addressed, but DCP does not seem to be the right place to handle issues. 

Third, The POINT of my initial post was to ask why people choose to bring issues on DCP, which usually leads to nothing being done except threads being led down rabbit holes with no solutions, and ultimately that thread getting closed. If people TRULY want to get something fixed within that specific organization, then they should approach that organization instead of adding to the destruction of that organization. 

But if you're all for posting that type of crap, then by all means, do you. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that's the right way to do it. 

well the guy at Bones was brought here years ago and ignored....til brought up again. same for the guy at cadets. both from issues with past jobs at schools.

sometimes when all other avenues are blocked, people will go where they can get eyes and chatter going. DCP is considered one of those places from drum corps.

quick.....when I got the G7 file, where did i come with it?

DCP. and that it got out to the public at large only added to #### #### storm that was brewing in the board room. and that i got it here before the corps went out with their initial statement/coup attempt announcement, i know for a fact emails and phones exploded. i am pretty sure the public outrage that created helped not only nuke the plan, but pushed people into action

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

The difference is I'm not blaming a whistleblower or a victim. Some of those who have posted things about other corps don't come across as whistleblowers or victims, but rather someone with an ax to grind (yes, I said it again because I have seen it myself). AGAIN, I am ALL for holding corps accountable for what they've done (I was one of the first who came out against you know who when we all found out what he'd done). What I'm saying is, I don't think DCP has been the most effective way to do that. 

We don't. But the point is, too many times, the issues pop up on DCP with no context, with no idea whether or not someone within the org has brought it to someone's attention, so on and so forth. 

See my previous post for the steps I recommend. 

i've heard about an issue bubbling under the surface for a while now, but i've not posted anything because i don't have enough facts, but if true and gets out...oof. but in todays world, it's all about getting the issue out any and every way possible, especially if official channels close off from dialouge

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well the guy at Bones was brought here years ago and ignored....til brought up again. same for the guy at cadets. both from issues with past jobs at schools.

sometimes when all other avenues are blocked, people will go where they can get eyes and chatter going. DCP is considered one of those places from drum corps.

quick.....when I got the G7 file, where did i come with it?

DCP. and that it got out to the public at large only added to #### #### storm that was brewing in the board room. and that i got it here before the corps went out with their initial statement/coup attempt announcement, i know for a fact emails and phones exploded. i am pretty sure the public outrage that created helped not only nuke the plan, but pushed people into action

I completely agree with the idea that if no other avenues have worked, then try another one. It's the same way things (mostly) work in the Navy. I am not here to "tell anyone how to report things" that have happened to THEM. That should rightfully left up to the victim. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Your post seems to infer that what I've said refers to you, which it is not. I've seen a lot of what you've done last year so I am not trying to make any issue of the steps you've taken. What I am saying is there are people who come here to do exactly what I pointed out, like one of the threads yesterday that was taken down. There was a DCP member who explicitly stated they were available for questions, or to clear things up, or to set the record straight. The post was STILL inserted into another thread even when the original thread was closed and when the entire subject was cleared up. 

Fair, I suppose, as I lump myself in with all other whistleblowers whether I agree with all there actions and strategies or not.

I had a response regarding your comment but I'm genuinely not here to enrage people, least of all Cadets alum right now.

I look forward to the press release (incoming today?) so that we can all hopefully get the clarity and transparency we seek.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, David Hill said:

Mr. Ream is correct.

The entire administrative set-up of DCI is fraught. There are no checks and balances built into the system. So guess what; said checks and balances come from interested parties from outside, and inside, the organizations involved. Only problem? We have no teeth to affect change. Should be a better way.

Agreed and this is where siloing becomes a problem. The "teeth" would have to come from a governing body and the training and compliance would need 3rd party oversight. All of this being said, we don't necessarily know what is going down behind the curtains at DCI or the member corps. That's just reality. There may be plans in motion that we're unaware of. That doesn't in any way go against the ideas presented here (and in other threads,) meant to present possible solutions.

One of the big problems we have with the current model is a lack of transparency amongst many of the member corps and DCI itself. People are FAR more open have useful discourse and come to sustainable solutions when the cards on the table can be clearly seen by all interested parties. Some changes have to be kept close to the vest for various reasons, but that should not completely eliminate transparency. 

• Thanks 2