What is wrong with US?

47 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Am I caught in a bait-and -switch scheme here?  I want to discuss what is going on that Cadets can’t leave the driveway in 2024. That’s far from a nothing burger. And I don’t believe it’s because some unexpected bills came in late and…Oops!  There is more to it. 
Yet everyone seems to want to instead talk about how angry they are that Richard L. piled on about the PA registration. If that’s a nothing burger (and I agree that it is) then WHY can’t you stop talking about it ?!?  RL has not even posted to this thread!  

The thread for discussing the former was closed because of the latter

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Most likely 0%.  In my opinion those that post the most regarding Santa Clara and now Garfield actually care the least about those corps.  It's mostly self-serving, self-promotion, and self-aggrandizement.  

i've donated to several corps, and helped sponsor kids to more than a few as well....and thats not buying merch. hell in 1988 while mom was on a business trip to San fran, i hounded her to find SCV's hall to get me a phantom of the opera shirt

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i've donated to several corps, and helped sponsor kids to more than a few as well....and thats not buying merch. hell in 1988 while mom was on a business trip to San fran, i hounded her to find SCV's hall to get me a phantom of the opera shirt

Me, too, except the part about your mom.  But until they clean up their act, no more. I’m giving elsewhere. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 3:41 AM, 2000Cadet said:

We’ve had corps fold, corps take a year off, etc. What I have noticed to be constant is people coming onto this site to air those corps’ dirty laundry. Don’t get it confused. I am all for holding corps accountable for what happens with their finances, ESPECIALLY when much of their coins are from donations. But if we protest to love this activity as much as we do, WHY are we trying to destroy the reputations of corps we claim to love? 

Drum corps is still a niche activity. We don't get much support outside of those who already know about us. With all the changes that have taken place just over the past 20 years, we STILL have a relative small group of people who watch and enjoy this activity. Pandemics, inflation, and other things have have caused so many issues with in society so it comes as no surprise to me that drum corps is feeling the same pain. 

Maybe instead of pouring salt on the wounds, we should be talking directly to those corps and possibly provide suggestions on fixing the issues issues they're facing. Not saying it would be an easy task, but anything is better than coming onto a forum and posting terrible news just to get a rise out of people. Just a thought. 

Thank you for this. I've stopped reading the Vanguard and Cadets threads because it's just a bunch of bored people, who have nothing better to do, and really don't know much of what they are talking about. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Me, too, except the part about your mom.  But until they clean up their act, no more. I’m giving elsewhere. 

oh yeah i'm watching and waiting.

1 hour ago, Hamburgler said:

Admittedly, I'm a bit late to the thread and haven't read through the previous 17 pages. 

The issue here isn't the airing of dirty laundry, but the fact that there is dirty laundry. 

All of us have dirty laundry. I don't expect for a drum corps or any organization to be completely "clean." 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

All of us have dirty laundry. I don't expect for a drum corps or any organization to be completely "clean." 

I do not think any of us expect them to be completely "clean". But we also do not expect them to be burying bodies in the backyard and hoping they never get caught. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmyjames said:

I do not think any of us expect them to be completely "clean". But we also do not expect them to be burying bodies in the backyard and hoping they never get caught. 

Your exaggeration notwithstanding, the CEO(?) did put out a statement explaining what led them to this point. I think the issue is many people do not accept it as gospel, and that's fine. But many people feel they weren't being transparent when that's not absolutely the case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1