The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

6 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

I would like to see a National Ad go out to find all drum corps abuse victims, hear their stories because it would be a huge blow to the activity! 

I don't think that this post should be removed! Lets talk about what most of us have known for decades!

Why hide it now?

Hate to ask, but what is your motivation here?  It sounds like it is to deal a "huge blow to the activity."  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DAYGO said:

Hate to ask, but what is your motivation here?  It sounds like it is to deal a "huge blow to the activity."  

Motivation? Because there are scumbags out there that have gotten away with a lot and, back in the day, it was swept under the rug like "the old boys network." Saving peoples behinds because they have a name or title! There is a recent case in Florida (my neck of the woods) where a teacher was known for 20 years to be doing things an adult shouldn't be doing and he finally got nailed for it. I replaced a person in NY that was doing the same. 

I don't want to see the activity die but lets face it, they are shooting themselves all the time. If BD gets brought up in a case or two, would that then mean DC is done?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Keith Hall said:

Motivation? Because there are scumbags out there that have gotten away with a lot and, back in the day, it was swept under the rug like "the old boys network." Saving peoples behinds because they have a name or title! There is a recent case in Florida (my neck of the woods) where a teacher was known for 20 years to be doing things an adult shouldn't be doing and he finally got nailed for it. I replaced a person in NY that was doing the same. 

I don't want to see the activity die but lets face it, they are shooting themselves all the time. If BD gets brought up in a case or two, would that then mean DC is done?

...and there are a large number of non "scumbags" who are involved PLUS the thousands of members who benefit from the experience of marching in drum corps. Sounds like the axe you want to grind is aimed at individuals, not the activity as a whole. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Algernon said:

...and there are a large number of non "scumbags" who are involved PLUS the thousands of members who benefit from the experience of marching in drum corps. Sounds like the axe you want to grind is aimed at individuals, not the activity as a whole. 

The activity is what has allowed the scumbags to thrive. If the "adults" had been protecting the kids like "adults" we wouldn't be in this situation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

The scumbags as you put it are both kids and adults.  It’s not the activity itself that has allowed it,  imo, because the same thing happens in many many activities and geographies.  What protects scumbags is anonymity, fear of reporting, lack of support and belief in reporters, retaliation and persecution of reporters or whistleblowers, followed by inaction.

Investigate reports more publicly, than when confirmed or proven, name names, identify bad actors, describe or otherwise name instances of bad behavior. Then people can be more aware and on the watch for similar warning signs.  Unproven rumors enable plausible deniability and perpetuated instances.  Exposure can help stop it.

This

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

The scumbags as you put it are both kids and adults.  It’s not the activity itself that has allowed it,  imo, because the same thing happens in many many activities and geographies.  What protects scumbags is anonymity, fear of reporting, lack of support and belief in reporters, retaliation and persecution of reporters or whistleblowers, followed by inaction.

Investigate reports more publicly, than when confirmed or proven, name names, identify bad actors, describe or otherwise name instances of bad behavior. Then people can be more aware and on the watch for similar warning signs.  Unproven rumors enable plausible deniability and perpetuated instances.  Exposure can help stop it.

The member behind the Spirit incident comes to mind. Their contract with BD was rescinded for ‘22 but Crown accepted them for ‘23. I find that reminiscent of religious organizations that shuffled abusers about 

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

The member behind the Spirit incident comes to mind. Their contract with BD was rescinded for ‘22 but Crown accepted them for ‘23. I find that reminiscent of religious organizations that shuffled abusers about 

That is surprising and proof that this is how bad behavior perpetuates.  If this is true, shame on Crown.

• Like 4