The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

So disheartened by these recent posts.   How about DCI create a compliance group of about 5 people and have them develop mandatory reporting guidelines that each corps shall follow. And give them investigative authority.  If lack of oversight is the problem then create oversight. 

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Don’t make is sound like corps “pass around” bad staffers.  Boston has very quickly dumped anyone found to violate their policies.  Bad actors find other places them selves and until the new place finds out, try to stay under the radar I’m sure. Once they’re discovered,  it is on the “hiding place” corps to remove them quickly.  All corps should do checks on resumes and histories when bringing someone new in.  Hopefully they have a solid and comprehensive background check policy.  If anyone volunteers at Boston for more than 1 day they must fill out doc. to be reviewed and approved to volunteer.

I do not have to make it sound like anything. It is a fact. It happened. It took Boston 2 years to dump this person. Now, granted this was before the "hop crap" and the spirit situation. As already said, yes it is difficult to track "bad staffers" but when one organization contacts the other and the truth about why they were let go isn't disclosed. Then yes, they are part of the problem. 

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Don’t make is sound like corps “pass around” bad staffers.  Boston has very quickly dumped anyone found to violate their policies.  Bad actors find other places them selves and until the new place finds out, try to stay under the radar I’m sure. Once they’re discovered,  it is on the “hiding place” corps to remove them quickly.  All corps should do checks on resumes and histories when bringing someone new in.  Hopefully they have a solid and comprehensive background check policy.  If anyone volunteers at Boston for more than 1 day they must fill out doc. to be reviewed and approved to volunteer.

The problem is the bad ones stay under the radar. Good for Boston for kicking them out but… how do other corps know that their new staff member should never work with young people again? 
Just too #### much of corps worrying about themselves and not the whole activity. And DCI is useless if they don’t take the lead on this. 

OK DCI should dissolve itself if it isn’t taking more action.

30 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

So disheartened by these recent posts.   How about DCI create a compliance group of about 5 people and have them develop mandatory reporting guidelines that each corps shall follow. And give them investigative authority.  If lack of oversight is the problem then create oversight. 

I think the idea of having a DCI paid ombudsperson at every corps is a good one.  A person independent of the corps who's accessible to every member could potentially be a very valuable resource for both members and staff.  Maybe a "problem member" is really a "problem instructor".      But would there really be people willing to assume that role for the token salary that position would inevitably be paid?  

Edited by karuna

Back in 1990s had training from churches insurance company on protection from child abuse. Line that applies here is “abusers are looking for organizations that either do not check for abusers or have holes in their protection policy “.

More I read about abusers (staff and members) being able to bounce to another corps….. no wonder this is still going on as much

5 minutes ago, karuna said:

I think the idea of having a DCI paid ombudsperson at every corps is a good one.  A person independent of the corps who's accessible to every member could potentially be a very valuable resource for both members and staff.  Maybe a "problem member" is really a "problem instructor".      But would there really be people willing to assume that role for the token salary that position would inevitably be paid?  

I’ll do it for said token salary.  

6 minutes ago, karuna said:

I think the idea of having a DCI paid ombudsperson at every corps is a good one.  A person independent of the corps who's accessible to every member could potentially be a very valuable resource for both members and staff.  Maybe a "problem member" is really a "problem instructor".      But would there really be people willing to assume that role for the token salary DCI that position would inevitably be paid?  

I’d suggest a person at each corps to handle reported issues. And someone who has no connection to the corps (and no connection to DCI) to report to in case of problems with that person or reporter feels nothing is being done.

In DoD first person to report to was supervisor. Then an outside agency to contact in case the supervisor was the problem (saw it happen) or abuser had pull with upper management (or was upper management).

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Back in 1990s had training from churches insurance company on protection from child abuse. Line that applies here is “abusers are looking for organizations that either do not check for abusers or have holes in their protection policy “.

More I read about abusers (staff and members) being able to bounce to another corps….. no wonder this is still going on as much

High school programs were using the background check process well before drum corps.  Has it eliminated abuse there?    As I said it's mostly a legal CYA action.  

5 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I’ll do it for said token salary.  

Maybe.  Please submit a DNA sample, fingerprints, retina scan, professional qualifications, resume with cover letter, background clearance, 200 personal references,  power of attorney and a $100000 application fee and send it to....

• Haha 1

Are we now living in a time where "The sins of the father are to be laid upon the children"? I'm sympathetic to anyone who has been the victim of sexual assault or harassment, but this was almost 42 years ago.  Some kids aren't going to get to march because of something that happened before they, or in some instances before their parents were born.  I'm sure I'm going to get blasted for this, but the alleged incident happened more than 4 decades ago. 

Edited by bluesman
spelling
  • Like 4