Interview with Nate Boudreaux

4 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Ah, I didn't realize it was part of the USBands deal.  Yeah BD is a regular on that slate too so that would make sense from the business end.

well i think BD inherited some contracts when they bought USBands. i know finals are still in Metife and Allentown, and they still run the big October show in Annapolis. so there is a relationship if need be. Plus with the Cadets claiming financial hardship can they afford to run it themselves?

9 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I'm wondering what happens with the Annapolis show going forward.  I suspect this year is fine as Cadets are probably counting on it as a revenue generator for the org.  It's always been a Cadets hosted show.   

But should Cadets not make it, will DCI assign it to another corps?  Will it become a "DCI run show" of some sort?  I'd hate to lose it because 1) it's the closest show to me. Doesn't require an overnight for me or anything. 2) it's well established with USNA and local schools to be hosts for corps it seems.  3) It's a fantastic venue and seems to sell well enough.

The crowd has largely always been a Cadets "home field" with the alum turning out.  But how long that lasts if the Cadets aren't behind it is anyone's guess.  I suspect the usual comers keep coming for awhile.  

I see Troopers added to the lineup this year and SCV is back on the menu of course.  Crossmen still have some of the eastern remnant coming.  I dunno if it becomes a mechanism for Crossmen to try to host as a means of keeping contact with them?  (Irony of ironies given the history of how the Crossmen ended up in Texas in the first place...)

It could become a Surf run show too.  They have a 'small but mighty' thing going on organizationally doing community outreach and things. Dunno how much outlay it's been for the Cadets to put 'upfront' then 'reap the profits' running the show and if Surf could swing that without help from DCI or not.  But the profits would be a boon for them.

The mechanisms to host seem to be solid, it'd be a matter of maintaining them.  

To relate to the topic... I'm wondering if Nate is taking a business approach to preserve spots on the tour that ARE working knowing that a new model for how they're organized and hosted might be needed as corps struggle.  That said, the entire full national tour model itself is a big part of the sustainability picture.

Surf runs the show in Glassboro. I’ve been to the show both years and it’s working well for them and seems manageable for the corps. I think it’s best for them to focus on that show. DCI could take over Annapolis. From what I am hearing about Cadets, if they are still sponsoring the Annapolis show, they may not have the people or organizational folks to make it happen. They certainly don’t have the funds needed to get a show off the ground. Alums and fans still love  Cadets and cherish the legacy, but with the financial woes, pending lawsuit, and chaos of recent history, if you ask people privately, they don’t seem too optimistic the corps will hit the field again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

well i think BD inherited some contracts when they bought USBands. i know finals are still in Metife and Allentown, and they still run the big October show in Annapolis. so there is a relationship if need be. Plus with the Cadets claiming financial hardship can they afford to run it themselves?

I didn’t see your comment until after I posted mine. I agree about the funding. I also took a quick look at the line up and US Bands is listed as the sponsor.

On 11/17/2023 at 9:13 AM, Terri Schehr said:

It’s a niche activity.  I can’t even get my family interested. My parents would go to one show a season that was 30 minutes or less from the house.  Even then, they’d tell me how much they liked Phantom. 😂 Corn hole and pickle ball have a much broader appeal than the traveling circus bands that we know and love. 

I paid for my family and grandkids to ride in two limos to Pasadena to watch their grandfather in the Kingsmen Reunion show at the Rose Bowl in 2008.  What impressed them the most.....??  The free full sized Mento's being passed out at the front gate.

🫤

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tim K said:

I didn’t see your comment until after I posted mine. I agree about the funding. I also took a quick look at the line up and US Bands is listed as the sponsor.

makes sense. USBands while owned by BD has a lot of boots on the ground here in the region. while the circuit has slowly done some national expansion, it's not at the BOA level nationally. yet.

i'm sure that will offend some by saying it, but i'm just being realistic. it's not report button level

• Like 1

9 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I paid for my family and grandkids to ride in two limos to Pasadena to watch their grandfather in the Kingsmen Reunion show at the Rose Bowl in 2008.  What impressed them the most.....??  The free full sized Mento's being passed out at the front gate.

🫤

I love it but most normals don’t get it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

makes sense. USBands while owned by BD has a lot of boots on the ground here in the region. while the circuit has slowly done some national expansion, it's not at the BOA level nationally. yet.

i'm sure that will offend some by saying it, but i'm just being realistic. it's not report button level

The show should say "Sponsored by BDE" who now owns US Bands. That is where the money goes.

1 hour ago, fsthnds said:

The show should say "Sponsored by BDE" who now owns US Bands. That is where the money goes.

well, like any company with subsidiaries, a lot of it is dependent on how the accounting is structured