Brass ? On and Off Explanation??

Hey everyone, something real random here, but finally I  have to find out the scoop of this particular term …

on and off

I sat through more drum corps rehearsals than anyone probably should have as a fan lol and it seems to be with the Gino Cipriani brass lines.  during rehearsal. He will tell them to go on and off..  as a Brass player myself I can only assume this mean some players are playing and some are not.    the question I have is, how do they determine who plays or doesn’t play?   Is it simply even or odd?   

Can you tell it’s off-season with this type of question? Lol.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Hey everyone, something real random here, but finally I  have to find out the scoop of this particular term …

on and off

I sat through more drum corps rehearsals than anyone probably should have as a fan lol and it seems to be with the Gino Cipriani brass lines.  during rehearsal. He will tell them to go on and off..  as a Brass player myself I can only assume this mean some players are playing and some are not.    the question I have is, how do they determine who plays or doesn’t play?   Is it simply even or odd?   

Was the met on or not?

"On and Off" is the instruction given to whomever is operating the met during ensemble rehearsal.   It just means that Gino wants to have the met on as the drum major is kicking off the segment but to have it turned off once the hornline comes in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Triple Forte said:

on and off

Craig and co got it.

As Gino's DM, on and off really just means 8 counts from the met and then no more during the actual rep.
We have done some people play and some dont. "Upper brass in, low brass is out"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, craiga said:

"On and Off" is the instruction given to whomever is operating the met during ensemble rehearsal.   It just means that Gino wants to have the met on as the drum major is kicking off the segment but to have it turned off once the hornline comes in.

Great, thanks! 

11 hours ago, fighterkit said:

Craig and co got it.

As Gino's DM, on and off really just means 8 counts from the met and then no more during the actual rep.
We have done some people play and some dont. "Upper brass in, low brass is out"

Mystery solved lol thank you so much

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

"8 and out" is the more common phrase in the activity. 8 beats from the met (count in) and then turn it off.

Yea. The reason we didnt do that is because for visual and brass it was 8 counts from the met and then in, vs anything percussion related was 12 and in. 

Don't ask me why. It was the way things were when I got to BAC and thats how percussion liked it and who am I to argue.