Drum Corps In The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

As a long time performer and fan of the activity, I get literal chills when I see a drum corps coming into the frame in front of Macy’s, with enough sound output to drown out any of the TV presenters (sorry, Willard Scott, but that many G bugles blasting out Auld Lang Syne is going to make you invisible from an audio standpoint).

https://medi-nerd.com/2023/11/23/drum-corps-in-the-macys-thanksgiving-day-parade/

• Like 2

Just now, TOC said:

With quite a few drum corps vets in there. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fifer said:

The other thing I recall about when Cadets did the Macy's parade was that their drumline opened the broadcast from in front of the store to kickoff the parade. They then had to hightail it back to join the rest of the corps to march the parade.

That I did not know. If anybody could do that, it would be a drum corps. 

• Like 2

my wife thought Hawthorne was in the parade then she realized it was texas Tech

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

my wife thought Hawthorne was in the parade then she realized it was texas Tech

She’s not the only one. I’ve seen multiple similar comments on Facebook. They looked and sounded great!

The Sunrisers marched several Macy's parades in the '60s. The network sent camera crews to rehearsal each time to block our routines. Sometimes the day was chilly, but the parade was always a blast.

In '69, with the show still the hot ticket on Broadway, I recall playing a medley of "Hair" and "Aquarius" at Herald Square. On my elbow was a young kid named Wayne Downey. We were duet partners on that tune.

• Like 4

On 11/23/2023 at 1:46 PM, kevingamin said:

As a long time performer and fan of the activity, I get literal chills when I see a drum corps coming into the frame in front of Macy’s, with enough sound output to drown out any of the TV presenters (sorry, Willard Scott, but that many G bugles blasting out Auld Lang Syne is going to make you invisible from an audio standpoint).

https://medi-nerd.com/2023/11/23/drum-corps-in-the-macys-thanksgiving-day-parade/

Great Stuff, Kevin and thanks so much for posting that I haven’t seen the 1992 All-Star Macy corps since it aired.   I was a member of the 1994 All-Star Macy corps.  I’m sure you know, but there were a couple of combined/Allstar corps that marched on New Year’s Day.