Multiple Corps Auditions “Urban Legend”?

Wow, just got told by someone that the majority of potential DCI corps members audition for multiple corps (at $500 a crack) so they can chase a ring. Will leave out the “not so complimentary” terms but sounds far fetched to me. But was told “if you don’t believe me ask around “ so here we are.

And yes I asked and was told “majority”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 minutes ago, contraguard05 said:

The burden of proof is on the accuser. Tell them to provide non-anecdotal evidence.

That would be wasting key strokes and doubt he has any anecdotal info anyway. One of those “my mind is made up so don’t bother me with facts” types. 

The claim sounded pretty outrageous so thought I’d share. 

Besides I’m still waiting for someone to say how DCI is responsible for corps that disbanded before 1972 or DCAs decline over the decades. (Because DCI is responsible for everything bad 🤪)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That would be wasting key strokes and doubt he has any anecdotal info anyway. One of those “my mind is made up so don’t bother me with facts” types. 

You're right, it is absurd. And that person hasn't earned the time you would spend researching it for them. Short of surveying a substantial portion of auditionees across multiple organizations, I can't think of a way to gather that kind of information.

• Like 1

I have a friend who's grandson auditioned for Crown, Cadets, and Spirit last year. The boy is now a senior in high school and a very good trumpet player. He did not march with any corps in 2023. He auditioned for the experience. I expect he will be marching somewhere this coming summer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, contraguard05 said:

I can't think of a way to gather that kind of information.

I asked where and when did he get his info so I don’t go after the same source. 😈😈😈😈

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Besides I’m still waiting for someone to say how DCI is responsible for corps that disbanded before 1972 or DCAs decline over the decades. (Because DCI is responsible for everything bad 🤪)

99% of anything on that facebook page isn't worth bringing up here

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

99% of anything on that facebook page isn't worth bringing up here

Yeah sometimes there are posts that read like the Weekly World News (home of Batboy and “out there” stuff written as a laugh). This one had me shaking my head…

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wow, just got told by someone that the majority of potential DCI corps members audition for multiple corps (at $500 a crack) so they can chase a ring. Will leave out the “not so complimentary” terms but sounds far fetched to me. But was told “if you don’t believe me ask around “ so here we are.

And yes I asked and was told “majority”.

A lot of kids I know audition for multiple corps. 
99% of the time its not so they can chase a ring, but rather have the best shot at marching this summer, and find the environment they like the least. 
A lot of kids aim for their dream corps, or somewhere close to it and one competitively below. That way if things don't work out they have somewhere else to march. 

It is not uncommon nowadays to audition for two+ organizations and decide from there. 

• Like 2