Multiple Corps Auditions “Urban Legend”?

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

in the past several corps strung kids along until spring training. some to see if they could hang and maybe end up being worthy, some cause...well...camp fees.

Audition/camp season is tricky. There are always contracted kids who drop out for various reasons. (Sometimes because they got a contract somewhere else.) You never know how many.  You don’t want to cut kids loose too soon and end up short.

I agree, there are corps that take advantage of the situation, but it is a tricky thing.

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m probably going to hate that I said this but that sounds kind of predatory to me. 

it wasn't secret

• Like 1

1. If you are getting cut by a top 6 (roughly) corps and the staff thinks you have potential but you need to close the gap, they are going to encourage to you get in a full season somewhere before coming back next year. 

2. As said before, there is really just one "ring-chaser" destination. And they aren't taking drum corps rookies unless they have an incredibly established pedigree. 

3. If you have a "dream corps," and they cut you, and you sit for the summer, you're not doing yourself any favors for next year's only-audition at again your dream corps. Playing is playing. But the experience of sustained movement skills at the World Class level is not something you can replicate at home. 

4. If you absolutely want to experience drum corps, you should have a multi-audition plan. I did this over 30 years. ago. I had 4 groups in mind, in order. Missed the cut at group 1. Made the cut at group 2 and made that my home.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 2

I moved from California to New Jersey to audition for the Cadets in 1998.  I got cut, but I vividly remember Donnie VanDoren threatening to cut the entire mello line and "bring in his friends from Star of Indiana" to replace us if we didn't "shape up."  ("Shape up, or ship out," he would say.)  And the rest, as they say, is history.  (Cadets won in '98.)

Epilogue: I auditioned in '99 and got cut again.  They offered to have me audition for the Crossmen, their feeder corps, but I said no thanks.    

Edited by Just4Fun

On 12/3/2023 at 1:25 AM, Just4Fun said:

I moved from California to New Jersey to audition for the Cadets in 1998.  I got cut, but I vividly remember Donnie VanDoren threatening to cut the entire mello line and "bring in his friends from Star of Indiana" to replace us if we didn't "shape up."  ("Shape up, or ship out," he would say.)  And the rest, as they say, is history.  (Cadets won in '98.)

Epilogue: I auditioned in '99 and got cut again.  They offered to have me audition for the Crossmen, their feeder corps, but I said no thanks.    

So you ended up not marching at all? Ever? I guess you showed them!

• Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 1:25 AM, Just4Fun said:

So you never marched?

4 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

So you never marched?

Haha!  No, I marched in Div II corps from '97-'99, and then I was done.  Never had Div I "experience," but did not care to.  I really just wanted to be a Cadet.  Loved all their shows from '83 on.  (The tradition...the culture...)  I would have played the triangle or been the water boy if it meant a spot in the corps.  Ah well.  I did my best and that's that.    

• Like 2