DCI Januals 2024

14 hours ago, craiga said:

Because one guy said drum corps will die in 5 years, some folks here are pushing all sorts of panic buttons.

Well, that is what happens when the DCI annual meeting follows the VMAPA example for transparency.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the thing with WGI few publicly admit is because it is scholastic as well as independent.....it's scholastic that pays bills. all those SA, SRA and PSA groups flooding regionals....even Open Class.....thats where the money comes from. and yet they have the least say in things.

True - but the Scholastic classes also benefit the local circuits (where they may be fewer Open and World class groups). In the local circuits, Scholastic groups DO have more of a say (just my opinion and experience), because the local circuits MUST ensure their local groups are successful. 

I think that's the perspective I'm trying to take that I think is missing from DCI (and it's not a new perspective - many have derided G7 for doing that very thing - not caring about the lesser-thans). My point is that without local or regional support, DCI in its current setup doesn't care about a group that has an operating budget under $3M and without that, no one else does (over-simplifying, I know). 

Couldn't DCI just start a few regional task forces whose goals were to increase local participation and work with the existing World class units to also make sure that benefits them? It seems a case where we have locked shields, not swords.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Changes are needed . But for context , DCI corps just came out of an unprecedented pandemic where Corps, people,  businesses were  shuttered for long stretches . That naturally hurt everyone’s finances . Then interest rates went up , inflation set in ,  and costs for operation escalated . Given these unprecedented times ( unlike any period since DCI inception in 1972 ) I think it’s actually remarkable that only a handful of corps did not make it thru these last 3-4 years .

I’m not minimizing the loss of Corps , nor that DCI really does need to rethink how it does things . I think some changes are already taking place it looks like . Shorter number of shows . Less travel by most corps . Cutbacks on numbers of paid staff and the like . Things that likely needed to be done years ago too 

15 hours ago, craiga said:

Because one guy said drum corps will die in 5 years, some folks here are pushing all sorts of panic buttons.   Didn't some people say that same thing in 1971?

Also, whoever stated as fact that drum corps will be dead in 5 years needs to contact the Boston Crusaders/Inspire BOD.  They are currently working on their FINANCIAL PLAN FOR THE NEXT 50 YEARS.

Those crazy Boston people.

This is more than just about drum corps. The entire landscape of performing arts focused non-profits is shifting. There is less available funding, significantly higher expenses, more regulatory hurdles required for member safety and preventing abuse, and fewer donations/less volunteerism because people are increasingly having trouble just managing their own expenses. This is a global issue in this sector, and it requires these organizations to become leaner and more adaptable to the current circumstances that don't seem like they are going anywhere. This is more than just 'one person' saying drum corps will die, it's a complete environmental shift that is impacting all similar organizations, from small community schools up through major higher-ed institutions. I work in higher-ed arts administration at one of the biggest institutions of its kind  in the world, as well as with dozens of community level ensembles and groups and the pain is being felt everywhere. The model has to shift, or this sector is going to be decimated in the next 5-10 years. 

16 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

But I’m of the opinion that they’ll always be a need in the summers for instruction once the school band rooms shut  down for the summers . Something is bound to fill that void , that need , imo . It may not come  in the current construct , but they ‘ll likely be summer instruction and summer competition of some form or another . The demand will always be there once the schools close for the summers . That demand will likely have a supply of teachers off for their summers and  music students off as well . That’s how I see it anyway . But … who really knows . 

Yes, something will fill that void. Students will always need some kind of summer activity. However will it looks like the activity today where they form a huge mobile city that roams the country for 4 months? I doubt it. 

Also just to point out, the supply of both music educators and students who have summers off is dwindling. A lot of institutions are now basically operating year-round to get their students out in less time, spending less money. The salary that many teachers (most being part-time in higher-ed) get for working 9 months isn't enough to get them through the year, so they are hustling to find gigs to sustain them (just for the record, drum corps doesn't do that). Students are in the same boat, with them barely being able to make ends meet if they are able to take the summers off. 

It's irresponsible to hand-wave away the reality of the landscape we're living in today. We need to acknowledge its unique challenges and be realistic about how to navigate it moving forward.

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

This is more than just about drum corps. The entire landscape of performing arts focused non-profits is shifting. There is less available funding, significantly higher expenses, more regulatory hurdles required for member safety and preventing abuse, and fewer donations/less volunteerism because people are increasingly having trouble just managing their own expenses. This is a global issue in this sector, and it requires these organizations to become leaner and more adaptable to the current circumstances that don't seem like they are going anywhere. This is more than just 'one person' saying drum corps will die, it's a complete environmental shift that is impacting all similar organizations, from small community schools up through major higher-ed institutions. I work in higher-ed arts administration at one of the biggest institutions of its kind  in the world, as well as with dozens of community level ensembles and groups and the pain is being felt everywhere. The model has to shift, or this sector is going to be decimated in the next 5-10 years. 

Yes, something will fill that void. Students will always need some kind of summer activity. However will it looks like the activity today where they form a huge mobile city that roams the country for 4 months? I doubt it. 

Also just to point out, the supply of both music educators and students who have summers off is dwindling. A lot of institutions are now basically operating year-round to get their students out in less time, spending less money. The salary that many teachers (most being part-time in higher-ed) get for working 9 months isn't enough to get them through the year, so they are hustling to find gigs to sustain them (just for the record, drum corps doesn't do that). Students are in the same boat, with them barely being able to make ends meet if they are able to take the summers off. 

It's irresponsible to hand-wave away the reality of the landscape we're living in today. We need to acknowledge its unique challenges and be realistic about how to navigate it moving forward.

Add to this the overall trend that I studied in performance arts that's been going for decades now: steadily dwindling live audience numbers. That's a reality that's stuck with me for a while and I've wondered how it translates to the activity often, even if only directly or on delay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Add to this the overall trend that I studied in performance arts that's been going for decades now: steadily dwindling live audience numbers. That's a reality that's stuck with me for a while and I've wondered how it translates to the activity often, even if only directly or on delay.

Oh yeah 100%. The pandemic only exacerbated this because it gave people new options for attending virtually, but this has been happening for a while. Especially in the new music space. Not to mention the cultural rejection of things that appear too academic or esoteric. Try getting people out to an experimental/new music event these days, it's like pulling teeth.

Edited by MarimbaManiac

16 hours ago, craiga said:

Because one guy said drum corps will die in 5 years, some folks here are pushing all sorts of panic buttons.   Didn't some people say that same thing in 1971?

Also, whoever stated as fact that drum corps will be dead in 5 years needs to contact the Boston Crusaders/Inspire BOD.  They are currently working on their FINANCIAL PLAN FOR THE NEXT 50 YEARS.

I’m sure that some organizations will survive; Boston, BD, ‘Coats seem well resourced.  Others probably as well.  They will continue their work promoting youth development in arts for some time DCI or no DCI. 

But some organizations seem to be one or two unexpected bills from financial ruin.   How many more can DCI lose before DCI becomes financially ruined and/or the tour, as reduced as it now is, unsustainable?   How many Corps have to show up in Indy, with parents & family in tow as ticket-buying fans, to afford to pay for LOS for a week?    Is there anything that can be done now to stave off future collapse?   

I'm not sure why this hasn't come up, but 2021 showed in many ways that a shorter, more local tour, can work.

This lends to the regional model for sure and probably eliminates a three-regional format.  But I imagine this to be more sustainable than what is happening today financially.

OK, you perform less which is a bummer, but you perform.  It sure seemed like the kids who performed in 2021 had a blast doing it and it was certainly appreciated by the crowd.  Yes, the crowd was smaller (Covid, lack of scores, less corps), but if that model took place with scores, I think they could be on to something.

An acquaintance of mine who shall remain nameless told me in 2021, they asked for some judges to do files for the corps in Indy, no numbers, just feedback.  The overwhelming response from the judges was that things were at a high performance level even with a shorter season (and thus, shows were probably planned that way).  What I found more interesting is what he said happened after the show.  In past years, judges would have to steer clear of staff members afterwards with more judged shows during the week, but whatever watering hole they attended were being frequented by many of the staffs of the corps.

In this situation, they talked, had a few drinks together, and talked about the shows a little more.  But what I found interesting is how many of the staff members said they loved the schedule for the season and thought it was very rewarding and a great experience.  (Yes, this is secondhand information and may not be the majority, but I feel like we could've learned more from that 2021 season).

My wife has said many times, we had a great opportunity after Covid to do a restart on many things, and instead, we just went back to doing everything the same exact way and wondered why we had the same exact problems.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, craiga said:

Are you talking about me? 1 - you don't know I'm a guy. 2 - what I said was a repeat of what a DCI jannual attendee posted on FB. 

I also didn't say it would be "dead", but that the corps are talking about not having enough money.

I'm not saying it will die - I sure to god hope it doesn't. 

The point, to make it perfectly clear, is that THE EXISTING MODEL OF TODAY IS NOT SUSTAINABLE. How do you have a conversation about that?