DCI Januals 2024

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the guy has real world experience in a sporting activity with tons of contacts that could bring revenue in for DCI and maybe even help get it exposure which so many on here have screamed about.....and people want to freak because he;'s never done a high mark time?

there's no one IN DCI now with the business acumen to drive in the $$$ or things wouldn't be the #### show it is now.

"Business acumen"?

The activity operating model has never been much of a "business".  It charges participants half of what the experience costs, then tries to make up the difference largely by begging for charitable support.  In your context, "business acumen" is merely finding more ways to attract someone else's money to solve the chronic shortfall.  Maybe instead, it should be having the courage and tenacity to challenge that model.  

The activity product is derived from the music of others by amateur designers, and performed by amateur youth.  Those  immutable characteristics will prevent revenue/exposure from providing the sustainability solution all by themselves.  Something else will need to change... something activity-specific.  That seems to be the point of the post to which you were responding.  And it seems that Nate recognizes it too, judging from his interview.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jimmyjames said:

Is it just me, or are you always taking cheap shots at other corps....

But is it a cheap shot? There’s very very low probability the corps survives this. And who knows how messy it will get with DCI before it’s all said and done. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Dan didn't vote in rules. the membership did. plus you have the board. i dont think this guy is going to be running into next january screaming we need woodwinds.

the guy has real world experience in a sporting activity with tons of contacts that could bring revenue in for DCI and maybe even help get it exposure which so many on here have screamed about.....and people want to freak because he;'s never done a high mark time?

there's no one IN DCI now with the business acumen to drive in the $$$ or things wouldn't be the #### show it is now.

He may have a clarinet fetish we don’t yet know about… just kidding. 

Hey, I appreciate that he has expressed that he’s approachable.  Maybe I’ll walk up and say Hi if I see him.  I’m not shy. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

"Business acumen"?

The activity operating model has never been much of a "business".  It charges participants half of what the experience costs, then tries to make up the difference largely by begging for charitable support.  In your context, "business acumen" is merely finding more ways to attract someone else's money to solve the chronic shortfall.  Maybe instead, it should be having the courage and tenacity to challenge that model.  

The activity product is derived from the music of others by amateur designers, and performed by amateur youth.  Those  immutable characteristics will prevent revenue/exposure from providing the sustainability solution all by themselves.  Something else will need to change... something activity-specific.  That seems to be the point of the post to which you were responding.  And it seems that Nate recognizes it too, judging from his interview.

Not sure I’d refer to either the designers or performers as “amateurs”. 

2 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

We all know one can fluff answers for the cameras, but I appreciate the candidness. He’s honest about being an outsider and said the key points regarding evolution and sustainability of the activity. The words are there, just have to see what actions bring. 

What I wish Dan P would have asked him is if there are any obvious things that he, as an outsider, sees that needs to happen right away.   

I also wish he would have addressed member safety and concerns that lawsuit liability is an existential threat to the activity.  

• Haha 1

"Business acumen"?

I’m hoping he doesn’t buy into the “this is how we’ve always done it”.  Something needs to change.  I don’t know how to fix it but it’s above my pay grade.  I’m just a lowly ticket buyer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

What I wish Dan P would have asked him is if there are any obvious things that he, as an outsider, sees that needs to happen right away.   

I also wish he would have addressed member safety and concerns that lawsuit liability is an existential threat to the activity.  

No way was that subject was being broached. 
tenor.gif

• Haha 1

"Business acumen"?

I mean, Blue Devils have been able to figure that out. I remember being at rehearsals in Santa Clara where the staff were recruiting people to play for Blue Devils entertainment at 49ers games, or Warriors games, or television commercials, or corporate events, or educational clinics, all things that brought BD money while employing SCV staff and members. That's money that could have been going in the VMAPA coffers if they stopped myopically focusing on bingo and tried to diversify. There is money out there to be made for people who are willing to do the leg work.

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Not sure I’d refer to either the designers or performers as “amateurs”. 

I only meant that in a business context, where the distinction between amateur and professional is made.  No DCI performer or designer is making a living (i.e. profession) in drum corps.  There are a few designers who can subsist by designing for a wider array of marching arts, but most have other professions such as scholastic music education or some other arts field.