DCI for staff?

On 1/12/2024 at 5:41 PM, RContra said:

Why on earth are you asking DCP and not your admin or fellow staff members? Makes me doubt this is real. 

Best answer. This forum is not representative and often not informed. Talk to other staff members for the perspective you need. 

• Like 4

On 1/12/2024 at 10:13 PM, RContra said:

If this person is asking on DCP and not directly asking others in the activity, I find the whole thing very, very hard to believe. 

And you are sure they’ve not asked others?  You’re not.  So your harsh remark wasn’t necessary.  Is that how you’d like to be responded to? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

And you are sure they’ve not asked others?  You’re not.  So your harsh remark wasn’t necessary.  Is that how you’d like to be responded to? 

I didn’t respond as not worth the “vacation”. But can’t stand it when someone asks a question and response is give them a bunch of crap for asking. Good way to turn people off from looking for information.

As for people here not being informed 🙄. Some have long DC pedigrees 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:13 PM, RContra said:

If this person is asking on DCP and not directly asking others in the activity, I find the whole thing very, very hard to believe. 

I wouldn’t be so certain this person has not talked to current staff members. When I was looking for a teaching job (many years back, classroom, middle school language arts and history), there was a school where I wanted to teach. I spoke with teachers at the school, parents and people who knew the school, as well as friends and family who knew me. It’s only natural to find out as much as you can about a position, ideally from different perspectives before saying yes. Personally I would not rely too much social media to get info, but to anyone under 40, social media is an important resource. Something else to keep in mind. I know of staff and volunteers with different corps that heard one thing from directors who found it very different. We’re not talking about deep, dark, hidden secrets or coverups for wrong doing, more unwritten job expectations or jobs not matching the description. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LabMaster said:

If you think that remark is harsh, the world must be a terrifying place for you. 

I stand by what I said. I think OP is just a rando looking to hear more about what it’s like for staffers. 

I’d be happy to be proven incorrect. But creating new accounts in both DCP and Reddit to ask this question instead of getting it from individuals within the organization? Doesn’t smell right. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RContra said:

If you think that remark is harsh, the world must be a terrifying place for you. 

I stand by what I said. I think OP is just a rando looking to hear more about what it’s like for staffers. 

I’d be happy to be proven incorrect. But creating new accounts in both DCP and Reddit to ask this question instead of getting it from individuals within the organization? Doesn’t smell right. 

And you’re sure the person didn’t ask “individuals from within the organization” how?  To put it another way you’re saying the OP is lying about being asked to be with a corps.

Wouldn't be the first time someone became a new member of DCP to ask questions

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RContra said:

Hardly terrifying, but I have learned, until I am certain someone is being disingenuous, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt when they are simply asking questions as they gather information.  Being so jaded is not a welcoming trait.  And so what if they are asking about staffers.  There are a few former staffers here no doubt that can give him a little info.  

• Like 2

Yes … it’s a new poster to DCP and who knows , could be trolling , but I’d give the poster the benefit of the doubt here in the beginning . The issue has to do with safety and we can never have too much discussion on what needs to be done to maintain and improve on that moving forward in my opinion .

• Like 1

So unless you're marching a top 6 program with tons of resources, your experience will be similar to the performers. 

• You may or may not have your own bus. You might just ride in the front of the member busses or in a van. 
  • You will likely have a staff room or area within the housing site, like a band room or cafeteria while the students are in the gym. 
  • You will also have communal showers, though at different times than the students, usually during rehearsal. 
  • You may or may not have other supervisory duties, though most corps have volunteers or "tour admins" for that. 

It's highly unlikely that you will have a high-end tour bus unless you're in a massive corps, and you won't be staying in hotels or dorms except in very special circumstances. I would plan on it being pretty much on level with the student experience, except with some more freedom for leaving the housing site, or free time within your schedule. This is all corps dependent, I would ask your admin or caption head. 

• Like 1