A Great Article on The Cadets

4 hours ago, Galen said:

If they do manage to somehow come back, maybe they should rebrand as the Ensigns. 90 years IS an awfully long time to go without a promotion, after all. 😁

after the last 6 years they should go back to being Plebes

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

Years back a group tried to restart 27th Lancers and could not use the name. There are past threads that have the specifics of the situation. 

Could an organization begin a corps called the Cadets? It’s a more generic name than 27th Lancers so conceivably yes. Would it be possible to use the traditional uniform? That could be trickier but other groups have worn similar uniforms. I would imagine attaching Garfield, Bergen County, Allentown, or Erie that could be a problem. Attaching Holy Name to Cadets from a legacy point of view would be more specific and probably require the permission of the original parish. I believe the when they attached Holy Name on an anniversary year was a one season only agreement. Continuing the legacy could mean paying outstanding bills and lawsuits, or at least attempts by creditors to make the corps do so.

My thought is most of the members who marched when the corps was Holy Name have probably met the Lord, Garfield Alums are mid 50’s plus, Bergen County late 40’s plus, Allentown and Erie might be younger, but young people are not going to join a start up with the name of a past corps whose legacy would seem like ancient history, especially if the corps is dissolved due to scandal and financial mismanagement. 

quite a few Holy Namers still around

26 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well if an alumni started a corps, even if they claimed no ties, just happening to say their personal roots....would that be an issue?

A totally new organization with zero ties to The Cadets in terms of personnel, Board members, etc, etc, would likely be safe, but at that point, what would really be created, and how would it be different from any other new Open Class or All Ages org? 

The history of The Cadets has been a huge draw for 70 years, and minus that history, not sure what the point would be.

Edited by Slingerland

5 hours ago, Galen said:

If they do manage to somehow come back, maybe they should rebrand as the Ensigns. 90 years IS an awfully long time to go without a promotion, after all. 😁

[insert Harry Kim joke here]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well if an alumni started a corps, even if they claimed no ties, just happening to say their personal roots....would that be an issue?

(Forget this as see Tim already posted about it: Hazy on the name but think 27th Lancer alumni wanted to start an alumni corps and they couldn’t use the same. Used something like Light Brigade?)

Thinking our corps name is “the Cadets… but not those Cadets”

Years back a corps disbanded and a corps with a different name appeared from the same city few years later. Overheard this at DCA: “Are you guys the (disbanded corps name)”?

”NO we have nothing to do with them”.

Reply was give so quickly and emphatically 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

(Forget this as see Tim already posted about it: Hazy on the name but think 27th Lancer alumni wanted to start an alumni corps and they couldn’t use the same. Used something like Light Brigade?)

Thinking our corps name is “the Cadets… but not those Cadets”

Years back a corps disbanded and a corps with a different name appeared from the same city few years later. Overheard this at DCA: “Are you guys the (disbanded corps name)”?

”NO we have nothing to do with them”.

Reply was give so quickly and emphatically 🤔🤔🤔🤔

I think it was Light Brigade and some 27 alumni were NOT happy. It was kind of like that with Kilties.  A few were on board with an alumni corps but many were vehemently opposed. When they started competing… ooh boy, then it hit the fan. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think it was Light Brigade and some 27 alumni were NOT happy. It was kind of like that with Kilties.  A few were on board with an alumni corps but many were vehemently opposed. When they started competing… ooh boy, then it hit the fan. 

Because the Kilties, who stopped functioning during the Carter administration, were worth protecting. 

Everything about the Racine Kilts was always a cluster grope. It's amazing they lasted as long as they did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

There was a 60s Sr corps called the Interstatesmen from NY/MA. In the 70s there was a corps with the same name that competed in the lower level Red Carpet Association. I thought the corps were connected until I said on RAMD I competed against them in the 70s.

Think flames shot out of my monitor from the response from a 60s member.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

There was a 60s Sr corps called the Interstatesmen from NY/MA. In the 70s there was a corps with the same name that competed in the lower level Red Carpet Association. I thought the corps were connected until I said on RAMD I competed against them in the 70s.

Think flames shot out of my monitor from the response from a 60s member.

I understand.  The longtime alumni are protective of legacy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

The story behind the name 27th Lancers was based on “The Charge of the Light  Brigade.” DCX lists Light Brigade as an alumni corps from Revere, MA. I’m sure I saw them back in the day, most likely in a parade. I do recall some of the scuttlebutt. Some folks from 27th wanted to continue the momentum of “Once More in 94” others wanted it to be the last hurrah.  This was about the time Crusaders Sr. and St. Kevin’s Alumni formed. I’m pretty certain an alumni corps did not have George Bonfiglio’s blessing.  I don’t recall whether it was the group that wanted to restart 27th or the group behind Light Brigade that wanted to use the name 27th Lancers, but I believe it ended up in the courts and the Bonfiglio’s won. That’s probably why Light Brigade is listed as an alumni corps and not the 27th Lancer Alumni Corps. 

As I said in my original comment, there is a thread in the historical section that has the entire story and it’s rather dramatic with lots of competing versions. 

• Like 1