A Great Article on The Cadets

55 minutes ago, lawdn said:

Can you explain this further? Thanks - I always appreciate your knowledge and insight.  

sure. being a former circuit administrator for a USBands competitor, we saw lots of directors tell us while they liked say the Met Life gig, the disorganization and cost for for USBands was turning them away. The cost of running shows especially...last minute panel changes, last minute changes to a more expensive type of show status which required extra registration fees, disorganization at the facilities...all kinds of things.

while no longer an administrator, i'm still plugged in and many directors that never would have considered USBands are dabbling if not outright full time jumping over. In Eastern and Central PA the number of bands that have started adding UsBands events grew a lot the last 2 years. The directors have all had good things to say as well. 

Plus judges i know that work there no longer get their check with a note asking for a donation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Plus judges i know that work there no longer get their check with a note asking for a donation

Oh that's 100% unsightly.  I mean adding judges to the solicitation list, fine, but sending one with their pay?  

The reason we stopped supporting the Cadets was because Jim was helping move the cakezilla prop in 2017 and he was worried about the kids standing on it.  He thought it was unsafe. He’s an engineer ffs. He said he wouldn’t stand on it on the volunteer page . So some Cadets HOF ######## told him he wasn’t much of a supporter.  We weren’t after that.

They aren’t the only ones that drop the ball with donors. I was donating to another corps and my credit card was compromised. I practically begged them to take my new credit card information. They never did get it from me after I tried numerous times and they kept trying to run the old card.  It was kind of funny for awhile. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

first they tried to claim they weren't cutting off any of the shows. then the phones exploded. then they apologized

I saw them live at East, and when I watched the TV feed, I was sitting with a friend and was like..."Whoa... wasn't there a tag after that!?" I thought they cut the down ending or that I was going even more nuts than I was at the time teaching at Harrisburg High....Being one of six Directors in five years at a dysfunctional HS was a load of laughs.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

sure. being a former circuit administrator for a USBands competitor, we saw lots of directors tell us while they liked say the Met Life gig, the disorganization and cost for for USBands was turning them away. The cost of running shows especially...last minute panel changes, last minute changes to a more expensive type of show status which required extra registration fees, disorganization at the facilities...all kinds of things.

while no longer an administrator, i'm still plugged in and many directors that never would have considered USBands are dabbling if not outright full time jumping over. In Eastern and Central PA the number of bands that have started adding UsBands events grew a lot the last 2 years. The directors have all had good things to say as well. 

I still remember when you and I pointed out that the US Bands Online Rulebook conveniently left the pages out involving competition fees and getting pooh-poohed by people here when we called out the lack of transparency. I'd daggone well hope BD spells all of that out now to everyone.

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Oh that's 100% unsightly.  I mean adding judges to the solicitation list, fine, but sending one with their pay?  

I read this, then took a shower, and my Baritone-honkin' brain went "DING!" whole in the shower stall.

It's beyond 100% unsightly. It's a kickback/macing scheme under a very small legal fig leaf. If I got that after an assignment, it would make me think, "if I don't kick back a decent percentage of my pay, will I continue to get gigs in this circuit!?" Think about that.

Not sure whether the term "Macing" is understood outside of NEPA, but it's synonymous with Kickback...

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, contraguard05 said:

100% the vibe of the "playing Malaguena will fix everything" contingent of Madison alumni.

And who would that be?  Nobody says that. 

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

They aren’t the only ones that drop the ball with donors. I was donating to another corps and my credit card was compromised. I practically begged them to take my new credit card information. They never did get it from me after I tried numerous times and they kept trying to run the old card.  It was kind of funny for awhile. 

Was that other Corps the Corps I harp on a lot about. 

I remember getting into the power structure finally and tens of thousands of dollars in donation checks were left in the main office long expired and never deposited. The person in charge of running the office couldn't be bothered to f-ing deposit money handed directly to him. 

I'll even go on record here as late as 2022 Wells Fargo Bank called me personally (having been the treasurer if I haven't mentioned that already as late as 2012). They wanted to talk banking issues (little did I know) regarding the corps, but I had to stop them cold from continuing the conversation. I'm not on the board anymore and they need to update their contacts. 

So I reached out to the CEO of the organization, and then he had the mind to tell me to contact Wells Fargo with the CFO's information. Excuse me? How about you call you're bank, and update your information, and I promise I wont simply just accept their call next time and talk about whatever it is they want to talk about on your behalf. 

Edited by Richard Lesher
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

The reason we stopped supporting the Cadets was because Jim was helping move the cakezilla prop in 2017 and he was worried about the kids standing on it.  He thought it was unsafe. He’s an engineer ffs. He said he wouldn’t stand on it on the volunteer page . So some Cadets HOF ######## told him he wasn’t much of a supporter.  

IMO not a healthy environment around that time.

Few years before that my one boss had a daughter in Cadets guard. She started getting allergy or breathing issues (forget which) and had to drop out mid season. Parents go to pick her up and no one would talk to them. It was like “get your kid and get the hades out”. Later I posted about this and a member replied “well she wasn’t Cadets material anyway”. So if you have a health issue you’re not worthy. And of course one supporter said my boss was a liar. (Nope just a Marine veteran who spoke up when he saw ####. We got along fine.) 🙄

Edited by JimF-LowBari