A Great Article on The Cadets

2 minutes ago, spacewill said:

Man, on that one.  I used to officiate flag, peewee, junior high, and some high school football.  The day I knew I needed to quit was when I was officiating a 11-12 year old tackle football game.  This kid kept going down injured and then would come back in 2 plays later.  We as officials had no power to stop the kid from coming back in but I asked a coach what's going on.  The coach said the kid basically had no cartilage left in his knee but his dad is forcing him to play and putting pressure on the coaches to play him (apparently he was high enough in the organization to get away with it).  That, that day was the day I told my wife I was basically done and quit doing peewee immediately and then all officiating a year later.  To this day I don't regret the decision.  Some parents just ruin it for everyone.

Much respect to you. Referees have one of the most thankless jobs on the planet. 

I played football at a powerhouse high school program in SoCal back in the early/mid 90s. Watching our coaches absolutely shred the refs every game was brutal. Playing in the CIF Southern Section, you were literally desensitized hearing about high school refs receiving death threats etc.

You are a bad*** in my book and a bigger man than me. No way I could do that job on any level of football.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Interesting development from the case. The judge appears to be dismissing “The Garfield Cadets” for lack of prosecution. 

I don’t pay for the legal website service so I can’t see the entire document. Not sure if this is just a formality since the Garfield Cadets don’t technically exist anymore so they’re just cleaning up the parties listed or the case is being dropped in full. 

anyone have more info?

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

anyone have more info?

Not a lawyer or attorney in real life, but have been involved with civil suits before as part of my career job.  Cases being dismissed for "lack of prosecution" tend to tie back to the plaintiff not wanting to move forward with the case, or missing required court dates/filings.  In my case, it's because the evidence presented by our company's legal team during the discovery phase makes it highly unlikely that the plaintiff will win (think fraudulent slip/fall cases in a retail environment that are clearly captured on CCTV).  Once the plaintiff and/or their legal team sees the trajectory of the case, they abandon the case and subsequently miss court dates or filing requirements.

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh yes, i know all of the details and was at the show inside. worst gym possible too...so small

You were a strapping young lad then! heck, I was under 30! 😎

6 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

Not a lawyer or attorney in real life, but have been involved with civil suits before as part of my career job.  Cases being dismissed for "lack of prosecution" tend to tie back to the plaintiff not wanting to move forward with the case, or missing required court dates/filings.  In my case, it's because the evidence presented by our company's legal team during the discovery phase makes it highly unlikely that the plaintiff will win (think fraudulent slip/fall cases in a retail environment that are clearly captured on CCTV).  Once the plaintiff and/or their legal team sees the trajectory of the case, they abandon the case and subsequently miss court dates or filing requirements.

If that is case w/ Cadets, it seems rather late in the process as this is several years in, with a court date set.  I wonder if it is dismissed w/r/t Garfield Cadets as defendant, but ongoing for The Cadets and/or DCI?  Or once it is dismissed against one defendant, does it automatically apply to all defendants?  I suspect that we’ll find out in the next few days.  

9 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

One of my fellow Chiefs I was stationed with in San Diego was a volunteer coach for Pop Warner football. 

One day he asked me if I wanted to volunteer to coach. I told him no I couldn't handle it and would end up choke slamming someone thru the bleachers. He laughs and says "Bro the kids aren't that bad".........my response.........."I wasn't talking about the kids, I was talking about the parents".

Jim coached the Pop Warner football base team in Beaufort SC when he was stationed there.  He had some butterbar try to pull rank on him to give his son leverage on the team. He was told by Jim there is no rank out here on this field. Take your grievances up the ladder and see where that gets you.  End of story. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, spacewill said:

Man, on that one.  I used to officiate flag, peewee, junior high, and some high school football.  The day I knew I needed to quit was when I was officiating a 11-12 year old tackle football game.  This kid kept going down injured and then would come back in 2 plays later.  We as officials had no power to stop the kid from coming back in but I asked a coach what's going on.  The coach said the kid basically had no cartilage left in his knee but his dad is forcing him to play and putting pressure on the coaches to play him (apparently he was high enough in the organization to get away with it).  That, that day was the day I told my wife I was basically done and quit doing peewee immediately and then all officiating a year later.  To this day I don't regret the decision.  Some parents just ruin it for everyone.

Jim had parents who wanted him to put their concussed kids back out there.  WTH.  

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

A few months back I was able to look at a lot of the case papers online, maybe the paywall wasn't working correctly. What i remember reading was that 2 times the plaintiff asked to go to settlement conference. Then when the defense wanted to depose the plaintiff, they (plaintiff )did not show up  The plaintiff claimed she was too ill to travel the NJ for the deposition.  The defense said they would go to I think it was Mass where the plaintiff lived for the deposition.

The vibe that I got was that the plaintiff was saying settle with me now or all this stuff will come out in court, then they even added a line about George Hopkins.  I think maybe Cadets have already been dragged through the mud enough so it wouldn't really be any great bombshell exposed, or Cadets didn't have money to settle so they surprised the suing attorneys by letting go to trial.

The attorney taking the case makes his living suing truck companies after accidents, Drum Corps might have trucks,  but they are very different from large commercial trucking firms. 

I am not a legal expert and I cannot access that info now, and this is based on what I remember reading, and what stuck out to me.

I know nothing about anything that went on at Garfield parties in the 80's . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, totaleefree said:

A few months back I was able to look at a lot of the case papers online, maybe the paywall wasn't working correctly. What i remember reading was that 2 times the plaintiff asked to go to settlement conference. Then when the defense wanted to depose the plaintiff, they (plaintiff )did not show up  The plaintiff claimed she was too ill to travel the NJ for the deposition.  The defense said they would go to I think it was Mass where the plaintiff lived for the deposition.

The vibe that I got was that the plaintiff was saying settle with me now or all this stuff will come out in court, then they even added a line about George Hopkins.  I think maybe Cadets have already been dragged through the mud enough so it wouldn't really be any great bombshell exposed, or Cadets didn't have money to settle so they surprised the suing attorneys by letting go to trial.

The attorney taking the case makes his living suing truck companies after accidents, Drum Corps might have trucks,  but they are very different from large commercial trucking firms. 

I am not a legal expert and I cannot access that info now, and this is based on what I remember reading, and what stuck out to me.

I do.  Hair raising.  But they weren’t the only ones, by no means. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, totaleefree said:

Makes me wonder if plaintiff’s lawyer realized that even if they win, there won’t be $ for him to collect his fee from.  

Or maybe it is just a housekeeping move by the Court & we see a trial in June.  

• Like 2