Pacific Crest 2024

Starting this because heck why not!

Also, in my occasional scry of corps merch stores to add to my pin collection, I found Pacific Crest had one. I got unwarranted giddiness when seeing a shipping notice from Oceanside today. 

The upward trajectory for this corps has been super fun to watch.  

I’d like to think that’s translating to more auditions and talent looking ti be a part of this upswing. Will they push into the top 12 at last?

If they wanted to be memeable, they could go with a show title if “Pacific Specifics” with facts about the Pacific Ocean featured. 

And the preshow with a recording of stadium announcers mangling “Presenting their 2024 show, Pacific Specifics, DCI is proud to present, Pacific Crest!”

• Like 1

I hope finals happens for Pacific Crest this year. 2019 was phenomenal for them, and I know it's been said before that if 2020 would have happened, there was a good chance we would have seen PC in finals. Then Covid derailed everything, and that "Void" show they did in 2022 didn't help matters. They've rebounded nicely since then, however. Is it time for yet another California corps to make finals?

23 minutes ago, An_drew said:

I hope finals happens for Pacific Crest this year. 2019 was phenomenal for them, and I know it's been said before that if 2020 would have happened, there was a good chance we would have seen PC in finals. Then Covid derailed everything, and that "Void" show they did in 2022 didn't help matters. They've rebounded nicely since then, however. Is it time for yet another California corps to make finals?

I might be in the minority, but I enjoyed the Void show much more than what they did last year. 

5 hours ago, Jimmyjames said:

I might be in the minority, but I enjoyed the Void show much more than what they did last year. 

Welcome to the Void was a really cool idea. If I remember right, they announced that show pretty early and I thought it sounded super interesting. Fast forward to the summer and saw it multiple times on Flo, and I was just never super impressed with it. They just needed to do more with the props and I feel like the show would have been 10 times better.

I'll be the first to admit that I also wasn't the biggest fan of Goddess. I didn't hate it, but I also didn't love it. It was definitely a step in the right direction for them though, so I'm here for it.

i'm really hoping for a rebound. every time they get so close, the next year they take a big step backward....and it takes a few years to get back up there

• Like 4

On 2/14/2024 at 1:59 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i'm really hoping for a rebound. every time they get so close, the next year they take a big step backward....and it takes a few years to get back up there

Covid in 2020 derailed all the momentum they had coming off 2019. I believe they shot up five or six spots in the last two weeks of the season, and darn near caught SOA for 13th.

We'll never know, but I believe if not for Covid, PC would have been a Finalist or at the very least a serious contender for the 12th spot in 2020. 

I am rooting for them big time this year, and I hope they can perform on Saturday night in Indy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Covid in 2020 derailed all the momentum they had coming off 2019. I believe they shot up five or six spots in the last two weeks of the season, and darn near caught SOA for 13th.

We'll never know, but I believe if not for Covid, PC would have been a Finalist or at the very least a serious contender for the 12th spot in 2020. 

I am rooting for them big time this year, and I hope they can perform on Saturday night in Indy. 

From all indications, the camps have gone really well for PC.  They have a brass/drum major camp this coming weekend which will be the first in person one my son will be at so hopefully we hear a little of the show direction to see how they have matured.  They have kept their corp designers and staff in place and have a great chance of really building off of last year depending on type of show they come up with.  Best news out of all of this is PC has stayed away from any drama or major setbacks during the off season!

With that said, many of the other corps seem to be having great off seasons too  (Blue Knights, Spirit, etc.) so it's always just a matter of who executes the best by end of year!  It's really looking like another exciting year for the multiple competitions within groups (top 4, 5 to 8, 9 to 13, etc.).

I get what people think about Goddess as it may not have been the most "in your face" or uptempo show, but what it showed was great foundational marching and playing which was needed after "Void" year.  Can't wait to spend another summer stalking the corp and enjoying many of y'alls company as we watch the shows virtually together!

Edited by spacewill
  • Like 1

I thought Goddess was fine.  I think the MMs might have surprised the staff by performing the daylights out of it earlier than anticipated.  So the staff was working to layer a bit more into it without overdoing the original concept. 

If the design and instruction staff are consistent from last year, then they've likely learnt that and have planned accordingly.  

10 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Glad to see you here Chief.  

• Thanks 1