Ticket Prices

1 minute ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I'm not arguing any of that, I'm simply arguing the cost/benefit analysis. There exists a financial tipping point where the benefit of seeing corps in person no longer provide a significant enough value to justify the cost, when you can watch the shows for free pretty ubiquitously at home.

Again I'll use the cinema analogy...$20 tickets per person, $30 in concessions, parking costs and inconveniences to get to the theater, vs. an essentially free or very cheap experience at home with a lot of the same elements. It just becomes hard to justify. 

Since the show is somewhat close, I'll probably go watch some lots and then head home. Not exactly what they anticipate when putting something like this together. 

ok. so last year, for a night game at Penn State, we paid $117 each for 3 tickets, plus parking. plus food. Homecoming a few weeks later, $95 a seat, plus parking plus food.

For Allentown for 2 nights, $52 a seat for all 3 of us, for 2 nights....so $104 a seat. Plus our parking for our tailgate and food, most of which we'll bring with us. much better bargain.

Open Class show the week before....$20 a seat, no parking fee if like last year. Same for the All Age show the week before.

so my 2024 drum corps season will end up in the long run be cheaper than my 2023 Penn State football experience. by like $200. and at penn State you pay like $50 to park in a field....or more if closer...and hope it doesn't rain.

Drum corps is still a less expensive alternative for fans. Hell Penn state for 2 games basically equals semis and finals if we went to Indy....not counting hotel and travel

in fact despite everything people complain about with Allentown, some justified......it's so profitable because its one of the few places DCI doesn't have to pay a fortune for. thats why they havent been in the new Dome in Atlanta. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lance said:

So problem solved. You're not going and will be watching it online.  Now we know.  

Of the things that are horribly worse watching on-line verses live, Drum Corps is near the top of that list. The only thing else that comes to mind that might be worse is an Air Show.

I don't even both watching anything Drum Corps on-line for anything other than reminiscing.

Just now, Richard Lesher said:

Of the things that are horribly worse watching on-line verses live, Drum Corps is near the top of that list. The only thing else that comes to mind that might be worse is an Air Show.

I don't even both watching anything Drum Corps on-line for anything other than reminiscing.

Must be nice to live in California.  Lots of us don't live near drum corps Meccas, and literally the only access we have is through flo.   

If you're lucky enough to live near lots of live shows or a regional, I recommend dealing with the extra $$ y'all are griping about for tix.  You're lucky, period.  Add another $500+ in travel costs onto it for the rest of us who aren't so lucky.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

ok. so last year, for a night game at Penn State, we paid $117 each for 3 tickets, plus parking. plus food. Homecoming a few weeks later, $95 a seat, plus parking plus food.

For Allentown for 2 nights, $52 a seat for all 3 of us, for 2 nights....so $104 a seat. Plus our parking for our tailgate and food, most of which we'll bring with us. much better bargain.

Open Class show the week before....$20 a seat, no parking fee if like last year. Same for the All Age show the week before.

so my 2024 drum corps season will end up in the long run be cheaper than my 2023 Penn State football experience. by like $200. and at penn State you pay like $50 to park in a field....or more if closer...and hope it doesn't rain.

Drum corps is still a less expensive alternative for fans. Hell Penn state for 2 games basically equals semis and finals if we went to Indy....not counting hotel and travel

in fact despite everything people complain about with Allentown, some justified......it's so profitable because its one of the few places DCI doesn't have to pay a fortune for. thats why they havent been in the new Dome in Atlanta. 

There’s no comparison in ticket prices for sporting events, theater, or concerts. Drum corps is much more affordable.   We bought tickets for the Cubs/Reds game at Great American Ball Park  in July. $475 for two tickets. Great seats right by the dugout but still. 👀  We’re going to Leonid and Friends in April.  Pretty affordable $65 a seat so that is a great value.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

There’s no comparison in ticket prices for sporting events, theater, or concerts. Drum corps is much more affordable.   We bought tickets for the Cubs/Reds game at Great American Ball Park  in July. $475 for two tickets. Great seats right by the dugout but still. 👀  We’re going to Leonid and Friends in April.  Pretty affordable $65 a seat so that is a great value.  

Two months ago, my son and I went to the 49ers/Ravens game on Xmas night. Cost of two tickets, hotel, food, and gas driving the 860 mile round-trip from Murrieta to Santa Clara and back, I spent almost $1500. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Two months ago, my son and I went to the 49ers/Ravens game on Xmas night. Cost of two tickets, hotel, food, and gas driving the 860 mile round-trip from Murrieta to Santa Clara and back, I spent almost $1500. 

Yep.  It’s expensive. That’s why we’re not going to an Ohio State game.  It would be $1000 just for tickets.  I don’t even think I could enjoy myself. Hahaha. I told him go to go up the road to Putters and watch with the rest of the fanatics. 

• Like 1

MarimbaMania has in my opinion,  given a sincere and palpable observation based on the reality of discretionary money and it's effect on those who simply can no longer find it cost effective to attend live shows.These are probably the same people who can no longer  afford live sporting events,live music concerts or live anything short of your high School's annual concert...That he's been reminded that you're supporting drum corps and it's young folk( Who fork out between 4 to 5 thousand dollars for this privilege) seems to  border on a test of drum corps loyalty, when in fact, his position is probably shared by more than a few..If supporting mean going to FLO because you can't afford 800 dollars for finals or to drive two hours to see a show with 4 corps at 50 bucks a shot then at least appreciate the effort ..Those with the funds to go to live shows, God bless you..But those who can't, are no  less enthusiastic to see this art form succeed and no less loyal than any other fan...imo...Peace

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yep.  It’s expensive. That’s why we’re not going to an Ohio State game.  It would be $1000 just for tickets.  I don’t even think I could enjoy myself. Hahaha. I told him go to go up the road to Putters and watch with the rest of the fanatics. 

Yea that's the one downside to your team being good. Ticket prices soar. 2015-2018 when the Niners were sucking, me, wifey, son and daughter could all go to the game and I would spend less than $200 on the tickets total. Since 2019, Niners have been Super Bowl contenders, ticket prices are outrageous! My wallet was sending out distress signals lol. 

And God help you if you're thinking about buying food at Levi's Stadium. One time, I got four pretzels, and four bottled waters for us, they wanted me to harvest my organs to pay for it. The prices there are insane. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

MarimbaMania has in my opinion,  given a sincere and palpable observation based on the reality of discretionary money and it's effect on those who simply can no longer find it cost effective to attend live shows.These are probably the same people who can no longer  afford live sporting events,live music concerts or live anything short of your high School's annual concert...That he's been reminded that you're supporting drum corps and it's young folk( Who fork out between 4 to 5 thousand dollars for this privilege) seems to  border on a test of drum corps loyalty, when in fact, his position is probably shared by more than a few..If supporting mean going to FLO because you can't afford 800 dollars for finals or to drive two hours to see a show with 4 corps at 50 bucks a shot then at least appreciate the effort ..Those with the funds to go to live shows, God bless you..But those who can't, are no  less enthusiastic to see this art form succeed and no less loyal than any other fan...imo...Peace

I’ve been there.  There was a time where I couldn’t have afforded the Flo subscription. I wish it was more affordable.  But I doubt ticket prices are going down for anything anytime soon. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I can see a popular band at Roadrunner or MGM in Boston for that amount. I paid only slightly more to see the Postal Service and Death Cab when they were here in the fall. I'm seeing a slough of shows this Spring with popular groups and NONE of them even are that amount. 

What popular bands can you see live for $55 - $75? 

Based on the cost of other entertainment options in 2024, I believe ticket prices are in line.