questionably high amount of openings

7 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Here's the link to the table that lists the specifics that each corps is looking for.  It was updated 3/25/24. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BT7-87ouFK1ecNZRqgn_uH6PFAf-x9kcOPbtZDblGls/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Perfect

• Thanks 2

On 3/30/2024 at 9:07 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would love to see Les Stentors come out w/ 150 members & shake up Open Class.  But they are already winners in my eyes - they prove every year that it is indeed possible for a Corps to cross the US - Canadian border.   Thus putting the I in DCI.  

I am sure everyone at Stentors would love to come out with 150 members. 😁. They may will one day. It will take time and a lot more ressources. 

The corps spent about 20 000$ in recruitment this year and did 7 auditions in 5 city. 

At one point they had about 85 kids in the roster (about 150 came to at least 1 audition). 

The leadership felt secure thinking « if we lose 25% we will still be around 65-68 for the summer - our biggest corps since 1999 ». 

Well, the first camp came to be and we are now crossing fingers for 60. 

When it’s time to commit, some just aren’t ready. 

Remember that the kids that show up at audition, doesn’t know what drum corps is. They are intrigued. Curious. They mostly (95%?) appreciate the afternoon experience. But they are young. Many never travelled, left home for more than a day without their parents. 

The longuets rehearsal they ever had was 3  hours at the most. 

We are a different society with a different culture.  I’d say here in Quebec, by 16 years old, 80-90% of the kids do work in the summer. 

Music is limited in school. In order to grow the corps the corps have to recruit further and further (inviting kids for something they never heard of before). 

Let’s be realistic, no American kids will fly to Quebec to join the lowest ranking corps for the summer. 

If they would, they’d be surprise to find a corps with a positive attitude, amazing and competent staff, best food on the circuit, a family atmosphere and a lot more. 

In many aspect, les Stentors are rank way up there in the top 12… but you can’t make 12-16 years old kids without any marching experience, with 50% of the corps on a new instrument, becoming challengers of the top corps in 7 weeks. 

Still amazing what the team accomplish every year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 3/30/2024 at 10:42 AM, Chief Guns said:

Les Stentors came out to SoCal in 2022. I think the kids got to visit Disneyland, Six Flags, and other LA tourist attractions. Plus on the field, they are super talented! I know it cost them a pretty penny to travel out here, but I hope they can do it again in the near future. West Coast crowds showed them so much love. I am sure the kids had the time of their lives too.

Oh yesss! 

It felt great to have the corps in California. All in all, one of the great decision the corps ever took. Particularly coming out of the pandemic. 

The corps grow from 30-35 members pre pandemic to 45-60 post pandemic. California had a lot to do convincing kids to give a try to drum corps. 

Kids had a blast but it was HOT!!! Of course not knowing the geography, the corps spent the first week in the desert with temperatures often around 120-125F. 

They did not tour Disney, Six Flags, Universal and all. We were just out of the pandemic and it felt safer to avoid crowded places.  The corps had to retake a plane 2 weeks after arrival (to Chicago) and we didn’t want to leave anyone sick behind. 

But the kids went to Hollywood blvd, spend an afternoon at the Santa Monica beach, roam San Francisco for a day, including a stop at the Golden Gate park and a boat tour of the bay and around Alcatraz. 

All that for a $1600 all included tuition with the corps finishing the season well in the black. 

Of course it wouldn’t have been possible if the corps had 165 members. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Oh yesss! 

It felt great to have the corps in California. All in all, one of the great decision the corps ever took. Particularly coming out of the pandemic. 

The corps grow from 30-35 members pre pandemic to 45-60 post pandemic. California had a lot to do convincing kids to give a try to drum corps. 

Kids had a blast but it was HOT!!! Of course not knowing the geography, the corps spent the first week in the desert with temperatures often around 120-125F. 

They did not tour Disney, Six Flags, Universal and all. We were just out of the pandemic and it felt safer to avoid crowded places.  The corps had to retake a plane 2 weeks after arrival (to Chicago) and we didn’t want to leave anyone sick behind. 

But the kids went to Hollywood blvd, spend an afternoon at the Santa Monica beach, roam San Francisco for a day, including a stop at the Golden Gate park and a boat tour of the bay and around Alcatraz. 

All that for a $1600 all included tuition with the corps finishing the season well in the black. 

Of course it wouldn’t have been possible if the corps had 165 members. 

Yea unfortunately of all the areas in SoCal to get that nice 70 degree weather, DCI normally holds shows inland, where the temperatures can really heat up, Riverside, San Bernardino, Pasadena, and Open Class gets to perform in that ****hole Yucaipa CA, where the sun iis practically sitting on your shoulders. 

The only nice weather SoCal show is the Vista CA show, about eight miles from the ocean. But that show is off the schedule this year. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Yea unfortunately of all the areas in SoCal to get that nice 70 degree weather, DCI normally holds shows inland, where the temperatures can really heat up, Riverside, San Bernardino, Pasadena, and Open Class gets to perform in that ****hole Yucaipa CA, where the sun iis practically sitting on your shoulders. 

The only nice weather SoCal show is the Vista CA show, about eight miles from the ocean. But that show is off the schedule this year. 

We will know better the next time around. Housing wise at least! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MitchwithdaSticks said:

Is drumline/drum corps on a general decline in culture?

the problem is raising the max membership limit is hurting. even at 150, most at the top weren't full. now you add 15 more to that count? 

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the problem is raising the max membership limit is hurting. even at 150, most at the top weren't full. now you add 15 more to that count? 

One of the reasons that the lower limit was probably a better decision.  I get 128 was because of buses but kids that could and would have marched elsewhere allowed even more advantage to corps better off or known.

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

You are completely wrong. Most of the top 12 corps were completely full and then some. Quit being a doomer