Meet the 2024 Madison Scouts Color Guard Team

3 minutes ago, contraguard05 said:

By hiring instructors to stay on all summer, you preclude them from lines of work that are NOT teaching. This is particularly challenging for color guard people, as we do not teach it as a class for any real compensation outside of Texas and a few select suburbs. I can't think of an office job that would give me the whole summer off to go on tour, nor could I imagine being away from my young children for that long.

Regarding your comment about the lack of cohesion, that is by design. Multiple lines in music call for multiple visual elements, so 15 minutes of unison would not live up to the depth and complexity of what we are hearing. That would also make the big moments far less impactful because we'd already seen so much unison. The flag hit from SCV 2017 is a great example of this.

Thank you, Contraguard05.  I appreciate your reply!  

15 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I love Madison, and wish them a return to glory soon.  

And there are two things I will never understand; the tattoo obsession and the number of instructors required in modern Drum Corps for a single section.

Yep and that's part of the problem. Everything costs money and having 15 guard instructors is just unnecessary. Spend that money on getting a better product.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, contraguard05 said:

Regarding your comment about the lack of cohesion, that is by design. Multiple lines in music call for multiple visual elements, so 15 minutes of unison would not live up to the depth and complexity of what we are hearing. That would also make the big moments far less impactful because we'd already seen so much unison. The flag hit from SCV 2017 is a great example of this.

Yeah that flag feature was glorious. But, I disagree with you to an extent here. One of the most impressive things to me in colorguard is when the entire guard is on flags doing unision flagwork. It's extremely difficult and very impressive. I think the lack of cohesion has more to do with getting marks than having an impact. It's easier to get better marks without unison than with it. The guard is the main visual element and when we are not seeing the guard in unison it is far less effective IMO. There's nothing more beautiful than 36-40+ guard members all doing unison flag (or rifle, sabre, other) work.

Edited by Vuitton
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

Yeah that flag feature was glorious. But, I disagree with you to an extent here. One of the most impressive things to me in colorguard is when the entire guard is on flags doing unision flagwork. It's extremely difficult and very impressive. I think the lack of cohesion has more to do with getting marks than having an impact. It's easier to get better marks without unison than with it. The guard is the main visual element and when we are not seeing the guard in unison it is far less effective IMO. There's nothing more beautiful than 36-40+ guard members all doing unison flag (or rifle, sabre, other) work.

You're not alone in that sentiment, I love a good flag feature as well, and so do the crowds. It might be envy as a low brass person, but I love hearing screamers at important moments. But you don't top a steak with another steak, otherwise you'd get whole shows like this:

https://youtu.be/-UxdCqOWVcA?si=sKWETwZNtM96Nx_C

1 hour ago, contraguard05 said:

You're not alone in that sentiment, I love a good flag feature as well, and so do the crowds. It might be envy as a low brass person, but I love hearing screamers at important moments. But you don't top a steak with another steak, otherwise you'd get whole shows like this:

https://youtu.be/-UxdCqOWVcA?si=sKWETwZNtM96Nx_C

That was a hideous video that scared my cat, LOL.

Yes, not flag feature after flag feature, but simple unison work throughout the show is stunning, like the old guards of the Cadets and Cavaliers. 

6 hours ago, craiga said:

This is true.  Not only that,  but back when I was alive (80s), there wasn't anything like a 60 day tour which had to be staffed.  DCI had what amounted to 2 two week tours....we even referred to them as Tour A and Tour B. 

Or Tour 2 and Tour 7

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Or Tour 2 and Tour 7

Not us, Jurassic.... 😀

• Haha 1