1991: The year of Midwest domination and the last time the Devils finished 5th

YouTube funneled me back to the year 1991 and the DCI finals...I hadn't asked it to but the algorithm got me there anyway...Thank you algorithm!...What a great year for drum corps..My favorite moments came from Star, Cadets, Madison(loved the ballad) Cavies , and Crossman...The Midwest took 1,2,and 3 and I think it was the last time Devils finished 5th...what were your favorites or memories of the 1991 DCI campaign?...Peace

• Like 1

SCV's Miss Saigon was a bold move. That opening choppers sound and visual with the massive umbrellas.  whew.

But I had friends in Star and that show was not getting beat.  

I remember Sky Ryders making it in too with Camelot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, Conversations in Jazz was not a bad show.  It was just a powerhouse year.  I remember talk of "oh Blue Devils are just getting back to their roots in jazz after that Tommy show."   Which irked me because I liked the Tommy show.

Also Crossmen's love affair with the music of Pat Metheny that year was hot.  

• Like 6

IMO, BDs 1991 brass is the best of all time, coupled with arguably BDs worst drumline, finished 9th that year? Yikes!

ScoJo going to SCV in 1990 might have had a lot to do with that. 

• Like 5

1991 was a great year. My three favorite shows (hands down) were Star, Devils and Cadets. I think both Devils and Cadets were not nearly as appreciated as they should have been, and it's the only year where I disagree with every placement between 3rd and 6th. Cadets show was absolutely incredible. Star was perhaps the most demanding show musically and visually that we have ever seen on the field. What that hornline played while moving was miraculous. Top to bottom it was a really entertaining finals and I liked every show that year. 1991 Star and Cadets remain amongst my most favorite shows.

• Like 5

a lot of fun shows that summer. Star of course Star...Cavies getting closer, and Phantom also...SCV wow!! BD...needed a percussion section. Cadets making statements, Madison, Crossmen...Bloo...a whole lot of fun.

and Spirit that year never gets enough love

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Vuitton said:

1991 was a great year. My three favorite shows (hands down) were Star, Devils and Cadets. I think both Devils and Cadets were not nearly as appreciated as they should have been, and it's the only year where I disagree with every placement between 3rd and 6th. Cadets show was absolutely incredible. Star was perhaps the most demanding show musically and visually that we have ever seen on the field. What that hornline played while moving was miraculous. Top to bottom it was a really entertaining finals and I liked every show that year. 1991 Star and Cadets remain amongst my most favorite shows.

It really was a terrific year.  I’ve listened to the 1991 recording probably more than any other year.  From top to bottom. 

• Like 2