Best Sop Player

HELLO!!!!!!

Sean Owens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MADISON SCREAMER, early 80's....Strawberry Soup!! What a phenOMenal player...

Shaun started in the mid to late 70's with the Erie Thunderbirds, if my memory serves me correctly, he may have been in the Erie Mavericks before that..........he and phenom Jeff Gibbens shared the solo work for this top ten senior corps for a few years while they were both still in HS,..............Shaun went on to Madison,,............. and Jeff continues his craft to this day marching compeditively and soloing with The Empire Statesmen for the last 8 - 10 years I guess, and has been musical director and brass caption head for The Erie Thunderbirds for the last 18 years,..................

Edited by Gary Matczak

Chris Metzger Madison Scouts for his solo work between 73-77. The guy never choked at finals.

I too am an old Metzger fan, BUT, listen to Madison '75 DCI Finals recording......ooops! Then again maybe it wasn't Metzger.......

Chris Eble, Troopers soloist '82, '83, '85 (the three years he marched). Was soprano individuals champion in '85. His first solo in '82 he was 16 years old. He never aged out.

Still plays; plays professionally in L.A. for Disney and studio work. Amazing jazz player too. Was picked for the lead trumpet a few years ago for Brian Seltzer's grammy award winning swing album...turned him down.

Becky Parker

That's S E T Z E R.....lol. Look below and you'll see why I'm testy about this.

George "Oscar" Setzer

AKA Alka in my youth

Being an old time Vet, several excellent sop's besides Art and Art ( Can't remember how to spell their last names) of the 60's Hurricanes come to mind; Tommy Martin - Skyliners, a little known player from the 50' and 60's Ken Adams of the Geneva Apple knockers and Don Angelica of Hawthorne. There are many more from that era who given the three vavle trumpet keyed to a bugle range could surpass a lot of today's sop players.

Remember these guys did it with just a valve and rotary.

"Art & Art":

One of the "Arts" is none other than 'Art' Hylwa the Hurricane's gret soprano soloist throughout the late 1950s and the Championship years of the 1960s. He is currently the horn instructor for the Connecticut Alumni senior corps and the 2004 "Park City Pride" Bridgeprt Ct 'Reunion Corps'. He is still a GREAT hornplayer, as demonstrated at a recent "Pride" rehearsal.

A few other great soprano soloists of the 1960s senior era include Tom "Bucky" Swan, Ray Eyler, Harold "Skip" Groff, Jimmy D'Amico, Dave Fite, Frank "Junior" Ferraro, and Riggie Laus. Some of these guys "did it" on a valve/SLIDE GD Getzen.

There are no doubt, many more, but these names come to mind.

Elphaba

Bill Pusey of Blessed Sac...the guy who played the high-note part on their exit, "Free Again" in 69/70.

Many Salort of St Lucy's....his 69 opening fanfare to "El Conquistador" was great.

Don Polzo of Garfield...played most of the solos from 69-73 or 74. "White Rabbit" in 70 was one. He and I came from the same class 'B' corps from Livingston NJ, where he was taught by Bucky Swan.

Mike

Mike:

How many of the people mentioned in this thread were taught by Bucky Swan? My 1st horn instructor in the Raiders of 88, 1967 boy the memories.

the melli solos and bari solo in that show were also great,..............that show is on my all time favorite list..............

Guardsmen's horn line at '79 finals was amazing! I believe they nabbed 5th place in brass execution. Of course in those days corps outside the top 3-4 had a shot at winning a caption (evidence the drum lines of Etobicoke and Freelancers in '77, North Star in '79, and Bridgemen in '82 & '83).

Ahh, the tick system, where performance, not opinion or slotting, generally determined the outcome of drum corps competitions! Imagine a more objective approach to audjudication! Not perfect (tolerances varied of course), but it least it gave everyone a shot to excel on any given night. Why did we ever get rid of it?

Guardsmen's horn line at '79 finals was amazing! I believe they nabbed 5th place in brass execution. Of course in those days corps outside the top 3-4 had a shot at winning a caption (evidence the drum lines of Etobicoke and Freelancers in '77, North Star in '79, and Bridgemen in '82 & '83).

Ahh, the tick system, where performance, not opinion or slotting, generally determined the outcome of drum corps competitions! Imagine a more objective approach to audjudication! Not perfect (tolerances varied of course), but it least it gave everyone a shot to excel on any given night. Why did we ever get rid of it?

Great post, Jeff!

Guardsmen's horn line WAS amazing in '79!

We listened to them a few times on tour, and we were totally blown away by them!

Besides George Barr ('69) already mentioned, must add Larry Pawlowski and Don Kosmal from 70's vintage. All are incredible players yet today and are prominently featured in shows during those years -- and were on fire on field for Cavaliers Anniversary Corps CAC888 in Bloomington 2008.

Well of course there are Larrie Dastrup and Pete Burneko from 1980 BD but there was also...

Larry Dodd in 1982 and 1983... He played most of the solos in the show and was consistently great all the time!

He was a total heart player and you could feel what he was communicating when he played! Some, maybe most great technical players will never have that complete connection to the crowd that he had!

There have been some great soprano players mentioned. I would like to mention just another, the soprano soloists during Guardsmen "Tiger of San Pedro" in 1979. Great work!!

That soprano player was Owen Raun. He played the solo again in 1980.

Jim Brady (Bayonne)

Jeff Kievit (Muchachos)

Larrie Dastrup (BD)

Mike Collins (BD)

Joey Pero (Empire)

Roland Garceau (Brigs/BD)

Chris Metzger (Madison)

Jim Centorino (Matadors)

Richie Price (Matadors)

Frank Dorittie (Sunrisers)

John Meehan (BD)

Freddy Bell (Kilties/Guardsmen)

Jeff Lynne (BD)

Adam Rapa (East Coast Jazz)

It is a pity that contemporary junior shows do not feature soloists the way they did way back when - I am sure there would be more recent names for the list!

Just one minor correction to the Fred Bell post: He marched Fox Valley Raiders '77, Guardsmen in '78, then Madison in '79. He was never in Kilties.