Best Sop Player

<Lay Long>

Freudian slip?

I believe his name is JAY Long...

And a fine player, from what I recall hearing!

Certainly not Freudian... When we talk I never call him Lay... So I am gonna go with typo!

Being an old time Vet, several excellent sop's besides Art and Art ( Can't remember how to spell their last names) of the 60's Hurricanes come to mind; Tommy Martin - Skyliners, a little known player from the 50' and 60's Ken Adams of the Geneva Apple knockers and Don Angelica of Hawthorne. There are many more from that era who given the three vavle trumpet keyed to a bugle range could surpass a lot of today's sop players.

Remember these guys did it with just a valve and rotary.

That's Kenny "Ace" Peterson of the Geneva Appleknockers and member of the WDCHOF. He was great back in the 50's and early 60's and still marches (and solos) with Mighty St. Joes Alumni Corps at age 80+. Check YouTube for the Three Tenors in the DCA I&E and you'll see him play with Frank Dorritte......

John DeQuatro(sp?) Vasella Musketeers & Ridley Park Rangers

Ralph Winburg Norristown Invaders & Ridley Park Rangers Ralph was a VFW National Sop Champion but I forget the year

I know a bit about these things.... since someone has pulled this thread from the archives.... I'll remention a couple points....

hands down, Joey Pero is the best ever... but had very little competitive junior experience... most with Empire Statesmen although he did start with the a small Batavia Junior Corps... I will not argue with Wynton Marsalis who lists him among the 5 best trumpeters ANYWHERE...

However, the best I've ever heard played in the Oswego Black Knights Junior Corps in the late 60's and early 70's... his name is Redd Swindells and if you ever heard him - you would remember him... he's now retired from operations at a nuclear plant near Oswego and still plays professionally... ON SAXAPHONE... although he gets many gigs for big name concerts in central NY because they know he can double on trumpet. He often plays with my brother-in-law's small group (a group that included Richard Proctor's (well known color guard instructor) Dad prior to his passing)...

It was my pleasure to be his corps director and remain friends all these years even though his time involved in drum corps was relatively short ... Although I run into him at family occasions in Oswego once in a while... an interesting hook up was at Rick Roger's (well known percussion instructor) wake... I was very surprised to see him there - I had no idea that he and Rick were close friends. Definitely a case of drum corps world meets real life world.

Edited by TomPeashey

I'm sure he's been mentioned somewhere already but I think Jerry Noonan from North Star was one of the best - 78-79. Awesome!

Tom, I will back you up on Red! I saw him in the early 70's playing "New set of Threads," with the Black Knights and that guy was PHENOMENOL!!!! There was also a bari soloist with them too that was great!Joey Pero....what can you say about the best? Doesn't matter whether he marched junior corps or not he marched DRUM and BUGLE corps and he was AWESOME!!!!!

I know a bit about these things.... since someone has pulled this thread from the archives.... I'll remention a couple points....

hands down, Joey Pero is the best ever... but had very little competitive junior experience... most with Empire Statesmen although he did start with the a small Batavia Junior Corps... I will not argue with Wynton Marsalis who lists him among the 5 best trumpeters ANYWHERE...

However, the best I've ever heard played in the Oswego Black Knights Junior Corps in the late 60's and early 70's... his name is Redd Swindells and if you ever heard him - you would remember him... he's now retired from operations at a nuclear plant near Oswego and still plays professionally... ON SAXAPHONE... although he gets many gigs for big name concerts in central NY because they know he can double on trumpet. He often plays with my brother-in-law's small group (a group that included Richard Proctor's (well known color guard instructor) Dad prior to his passing)...

It was my pleasure to be his corps director and remain friends all these years even though his time involved in drum corps was relatively short ... Although I run into him at family occasions in Oswego once in a while... an interesting hook up was at Rick Roger's (well known percussion instructor) wake... I was very surprised to see him there - I had no idea that he and Rick were close friends. Definitely a case of drum corps world meets real life world.

that was probably Dave Parkhurst on Bari... in Oswego Black Knights... he had perfect pitch... after he went to Brigadiers, Corky used him to tune the line instead of a strobe...

I'm sure he's been mentioned somewhere already but I think Jerry Noonan from North Star was one of the best - 78-79. Awesome!

1980, too. They pretty much built the show around him, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'd have to go with Johnny Grass from SKY. Don't know if he ever marched the juniors, but he could play one helluva mean horn, and I'll bet that Hy Drietzer knew it too. :smile: