Best Sop Player

<SAXAPHONE>

Love it - "calling that poster who decries this particular typo..."

(I'm not pounding on you, Tom...I'm way guilty of typos myself...but I find this one particularly funny...especially in light of the person referred to above...)

That's not a typo... I can't SPELL... but for the record, I avoid most reference to or contact with reed instruments...

That's not a typo... I can't SPELL... but for the record, I avoid most reference to or contact with reed instruments...

Geez Tom - DCA's PR guy and you can't spell OR reed!

DutchBoy had a soloist in the early 90s that was good. I think it was 91, 92 or 93. Anyone remember anything about this player?

It was Roland Garceau, he marched Dutch Boy in 92, 93 and went on to Devils in 94.

I wish I remembered the names better, but X-Men '81 we had a couple of very good sops - Gary and Coop. They didn't have to learn much drill and were great water boys/bug repellant techs during rehersals.

Somebody mentioned VK - the soloist in 1990 was superb.

Dutch Boy 1988 had a couple of excellent sop soliosts.

Their names were Jason Logue and Steve Deacon, Jason marched with Dutch Boy in 87, 88,and 89 and Steve marched in 88 and 89.

BTW. just to piggy back on Tom P's post....Red and all those great soloist (pre 1975) played on valve/rotors. Seems to me I recall them (Black Knights) playing "New World Symphony" with the snares opening the show...right or wrong Tom?

Mike Ramelli......why do I associate his name with the Kilts??? :rolleyes:

Mike Ramelli was one of the Royal-Airs drum majors in 1965 and VFW baritone solo champion in '64. May have taught Kilts? Ask Norman.

And if anyone knows about old drum corps, it would be Dave Scott. He's been around forever :P .

Great to hear from you Dave! Looking forward to seeing you during the summer.

Dave B.

Kansas Dave,

Yeah,I've been around drum corps for a few years...but, I didn't march at age 12 for 9 seasons with the same corps.

Mike Ramelli was one of the Royal-Airs drum majors in 1965 and VFW baritone solo champion in '64. May have taught Kilts? Ask Norman.

Mike Ramelli did teach a few different midwest corps. I think he was the Brass caption head with the Guardsmen from about 74 until 77. I think he may have moved over to the Kilts for 78 and 79.