Best Sop Player

Yeah that Guardsmen line from '79 was something else.

The sops in TOSP had a really nice edge mixed in with all that range.

That list above is glaring in it's omission of Gerry Noonan.

Aside from the great work he did in live shows, I had the pleasure of seeing him in practice almost year round during that time and he was just a good there as you might imagine.

I heard a recording of the Lynwood Diplomats from the early 70's on Diceman Radio once, they had a screamer that really surprised me when I head it.

I believe that "screamer" was a very young Wayne Bergeron.

Just one minor correction to the Fred Bell post: He marched Fox Valley Raiders '77, Guardsmen in '78, then Madison in '79. He was never in Kilties.

So, who was the guy in Kilties that played the solos? He was awesome in 'Roll Over, Beethoven'.

Tommy Meredith

The "Roll Over Beethoven" solo was total improv, and he NEVER played anything there in rehearsals. The first time anyone knew what the solo might sound like was the first contest of the season.

On the other hand, his solo work in "Don't You Worry Bout a Thing" was all written out, and he ALWAYS played it. One afternoon while the corps was cleaning drill, he nailed it 29 times in a row.

Great post, Jeff!

Guardsmen's horn line WAS amazing in '79!

We listened to them a few times on tour, and we were totally blown away by them!

Thanks, Jim!

BTW, did you ever know a soprano from Muchachos (and before that, Blessed Sacrament), named John Davis? He lived in Newark and then Livingston, NJ. He's one of my best friends here in L.A. and has led our pipe band drum line for about 20 years now. Great guy!

You probably also know Mike Mindiak and his wife, Kathy (McLaughlin) from the Bridgemen. My wife (Mimi) has worked with Kathy on TV projects for many years. She and Mike are great folks who live down in Orange County.

Thanks, Jim!

BTW, did you ever know a soprano from Muchachos (and before that, Blessed Sacrament), named John Davis? He lived in Newark and then Livingston, NJ. He's one of my best friends here in L.A. and has led our pipe band drum line for about 20 years now. Great guy!

You probably also know Mike Mindiak and his wife, Kathy (McLaughlin) from the Bridgemen. My wife (Mimi) has worked with Kathy on TV projects for many years. She and Mike are great folks who live down in Orange County.

Hi Jeff. Yes, of course I know "JD"! He is a great guy, and a great soprano player & marcher! We marched together in 76, and I'm sorry I missed him at the Muchachos' Reunion back in July, which I was unable to attend. Please give him my best regards!

And, yes I know Mike and Kathy very well, also! Mike and I marched together in 77, & 78, and Kathy in 79, & 80. I was actually involved in Kathy's initial visit to the Bridgemen. Another friend from the Muchachos, knew Kathy from her days at Anaheim, and he knew that she wanted to march with us. He gave me her phone number, and I contacted Kathy. She moved to NJ in the spring of 79, to begin her Bridgemen career, and she met her husband, Mike! I agree, they're both great people, and very talented, as well! Please give them my best regards, as well!

Thanks for the information!

Happy Holidays!

The "Roll Over Beethoven" solo was total improv, and he NEVER played anything there in rehearsals. The first time anyone knew what the solo might sound like was the first contest of the season.

On the other hand, his solo work in "Don't You Worry Bout a Thing" was all written out, and he ALWAYS played it. One afternoon while the corps was cleaning drill, he nailed it 29 times in a row.

And he is still a rock solid player when he sits in on trumpet! :thumbs-up:

Jim Brady, Al Chez, Jeff Kievet, Chris Metzger, Jim Centurino!

THE BEST HANDS DOWN! :thumbs-up::thumbs-up::beer:

Edited by Jimpic75

And, yes I know Mike and Kathy very well, also! Mike and I marched together in 77, & 78, and Kathy in 79, & 80. I was actually involved in Kathy's initial visit to the Bridgemen. Another friend from the Muchachos, knew Kathy from her days at Anaheim, and he knew that she wanted to march with us. He gave me her phone number, and I contacted Kathy. She moved to NJ in the spring of 79, to begin her Bridgemen career, and she met her husband, Mike! I agree, they're both great people, and very talented, as well! Please give them my best regards, as well!

I marched with Mike in the Kidets. Talk about going way back...

Holiday regards,

Fred O.