Best Sop Player

The guy from ECJ in 98

I have to agree with ECJ in 98. His name is Adam Rapa, and he's been doing Blast for a few years now. That solo is also on the new DCI compilation CD "Artistry in Brass".

Additionally, just a question, is this the first II/III corps to be included on one of these compilations?

Edited by ECJ94

Chris Eble, Troopers soloist '82, '83, '85 (the three years he marched). Was soprano individuals champion in '85. His first solo in '82 he was 16 years old. He never aged out.

Still plays; plays professionally in L.A. for Disney and studio work. Amazing jazz player too. Was picked for the lead trumpet a few years ago for Brian Seltzer's grammy award winning swing album...turned him down.

Becky Parker

Isnt this Historical Drum Corps Discussion area, 1993 and older?

• 4 weeks later...
John Oscar Menosky - 1974-75 Sharpsburg Cadets

Rocketman

ampssuck

And one of the nicest fellows you'd ever hope to meet.

Unfortunately, since he never aspired to play in a D1 (at least I don't think so), his talent was never appreciated by the drum corps masses.

Lipsprain, John Oscar Menosky is playing trumpet for the swing band "Dr. Zoot." We try to get out to hear them every chance we can. He is still a fantastic player and I really enjoy his band. If you ever get up this way maybe we could get together and go see him perform. Later, Gregg.

Don't know his name but I would add to this prestigious list the Sop soloist from 75' Kilts on "Roll over Beethoven" and "Don't you worry 'bout a thing."

Seem to remember he was still a kid at the time,  maybe 16 or 17 yrs. old.

He's the one who also sticks that (I think) double "C" at the end of Auld Lang Syne.  He had to really wail on it to try and drown out the guy who was gacking on the double "A" in that triad.

I remember that guy. He was a trumpet player at UW-Parkside, if I remember correctly.

Another guy from those years was in Garfield Cadets, ca. 74-75; I don't remember his name, but he was a big lad, and his nickname was "chops" - he even had a practice t-shirt under his uni with CHOPS on the back. I remember him being able to play effortlessly.

Now that I think about it, his nickname might have been "lips" or "hot lips". (Failed 70s memory.)

Edited by johnbw2

Hey, Mr Randomnoise,

Turn on the way-back machine and listen to the Hawthorne Cabs in 1960, Two of the finest that ever picked up a valve and rotor horn:Jimmy D'Amico, and Don Angelica.

Worth listening to them even if they were our competitors!

AFO&OFA

HLD Sean

I am positive that there are many great soloists from the senior corps that I just never got to hear, being a west coast junior corps guy (until we started a little thing called the Renegades).

The only senior corps I had ever heard was a tape of 1976 DCA, which my buddy Rick South and I basically wore out from playing it so much.

If anyone has these great recordings and is willing and able to get them to me, I'd love to hear them.