Best Sop Player

I'll have to go with my personal favorite, Jeff Kievit.

If you've got a recording of '74 DCI, listen to the Muchachoes. Some of my fellow Blue Devils may give me some grief here, but I've never been as impressed as by Jeff. The crowd treated this DCI finals as if it were the Muchachoe's home show. Controlled pandemonium.

OT: He is also on the cast album of the show "Ragtime", as he played trumpet in the pit.

Mike

The bearded guy from BD in 86.  His solo during Channel One is amazing.  And when he screams that note at the begining of Conquistador makes me cry.

Yeah! That was, as I'm told (I don't know him), Mike Collins. He gets my vote, especially for his work with the ballad. He threw-off that liptrill like it was nothing.

My question is: was he really only 21? I've also heard that he's a band director somewhere in northern Cali. So why isn't he marching with the Renegades?

I think he's a member of DCP, also, as I've seen a screen name "MikeCollins86".

last i heard he was at Upland HS i believe. he worked with RCC for one of the years that i was there also.

Correct, Upland High School in SoCal. Played with the Disney Magic Kingdom Corps for a while as well.

If you've got a recording of '74 DCI, listen to the Muchachoes. Some of my fellow Blue Devils may give me some grief here, but I've never been as impressed as by Jeff. The crowd treated this DCI finals as if it were the Muchachoe's home show. Controlled pandemonium.

OT: He is also on the cast album of the show "Ragtime", as he played trumpet in the pit.

Mike

Jeff Kivet is incredible!! If anyone here marched in or attended Finals in 1992, you would remember it being the 20th anniversay of DCI. As a tribute to all the corps who ever made finals, they had one person from each corps wear the uniform of their corps' first year in DCI Finals. Example, a member of the 1984 Velvet Knights was there wearing the 84 uniform.

Anyway, Kivet was chosen as the Muchacho's representative. During retreat, he was strolling around the back part of Camp Randall Stadium wearing his old Muchacho uniform when he decided to grab the nearest soprano he could find and without any warm up at all, proceeded to walk up the tunnel and play his solo from 197? (not sure what year exactly). He didn't get past three notes before the crowd of over 35,000 people erupted and flew to their feet. Next to 27's performance at the 1994 Finals in Boston, that was definitely the best DCI moment I have ever experienced.

Jeff was also on VK's brass staff in 92. Sat across from me on the bus back from Finals heading back to the school. I was lucky enough to have him sign my white VK uniform hat, which I keep sealed in a zip lock bag to this day. He's got my vote for best sop player!

As far a Seniors go, what's the actual name of that Skyliner soloist called "Sidemouth", and wasn't he recently hospitalized?? Any updates??

I had the pleasure to work with him as a producer for Vanessa Williams. They are both total class! I just wished I knew he marched back then! The stories! WOW.........

Edited by WoobieATL

:silly:

Gotta stick another one in here gang. I may be wrong on the name, but in 82 the Cabs had a black guy named Keith Griffin(?) as their lead solo player..I only saw him play at DCA that year, but he was unreal. Style, tone and range combined. And of course, he wasn't given the Best Soloist award that show.

If anyone gets to hear that show, I think you'll agree. Technique not stereotypical Hawthorne, but this cat could really play.

Anyone know what happened to him?

2nd Choice - my long time friend Roger Grupp. Listen to the closing solo lines in MBI shows from the late 80's and early 90's. Those long holds are with one breath, not circular breathing. His high chops are still to die for, and Rog is pushing 60. No small mouthpiece either, he uses a Bach 1 or 1C I believe. He used to use a Schilke 19! Talk about huge ! Haven't heard too many players that can match him, but I guess I'm biased. I've only known him for 30 years, and we played Baritone together for a lot of that.

Pat

:ramd:

Keith Griffin is still witht he Cabs. He is a marching instructor now. Stopped playing after a severe car accident broke his jaw I believe. Also was the soloist with Bridgemen ion 76 I beleieve.....

Mike,

I hear the Cadets have had some talent of their own. Didn't the trumpet player on the 'Late Show with David Letterman' march with CBC?

Oh, yes. Al 'Goober' Chez, Dave's trumpet player, marched in the late 70's. He came form, I think, the Fords Saints to Garfield.

He's currently doing a great job as a staff member with the Crossmen, in addition to the Letterman gig.

His brother Mick used to play trumpet in the community band I play in, until he moved out of the Central NJ area. Great guy.

Mike