Best Sop Player

My vote would be for Mark Zauss from Future Corps.

MAYNARD!!! You're right...because he did play with the Blue Devils...

Once...

I wish I knew their names, but I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned any of the greats from the 60's Royal Airs!

Or the 68-69 Kilts!

J.C. - John Bunic is still around? I remember him when I lived in Kenosha back then - thanks for the flashback, man!

Bill Chase..............

b**bs

Edited by RobH

I wish I knew their names, but I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned any of the greats from the 60's Royal Airs!

Or the 68-69 Kilts!

J.C. - John Bunic is still around? I remember him when I lived in Kenosha back then - thanks for the flashback, man!

Bill Chase..............

b**bs

Wasn't there a great baritone solist in the Kilties around 69?

Haven't listened to my corps albums in years, but I have a vague memory of them having such a person.

Mike

Wow, I just found this place. This is great!

For my money, the greatest soprano soloist was Jim Brady of the Bridgemen. He's been mentioned a couple of times.

In Spanish Dreams, he was absolutely fantastic. I still get chills when I listen to it. If you aren't familiar with the 1978 Bridgemen, you really need to listen to them. The thing about him was that he was doing these incredible things, but he made it sound deceptively easy. Phenominal range and control.

Saints.

Wow.

Why have one screamer when you can have a whole section!

• 2 weeks later...

Before I joined the Sky Ryders in 1985 I wore out a finals tape with a Spirit of Atlanta sop player who was awsome. Don't know his name but it was in the early 80s show :blink:

Keith

that was Redd Swindells with Oswego Black Knights... he still plays professionally from time to time... on both sax and trumpet.

The avante guard guy was probably Dave Keck from Brigadiers

Hunter Moss is great and true southern gentleman

Chez Mr. K and the rest are special for sure

Unquestionably - although you all mention some great people ... the best soloist now performing in drum corps has to be Empire's Joey Pero... he is a true animal... trained at Julliard by Wynton Marsalis and currently completing his training at Berkeley in Boston... He is the most consistent screacher I've ever heard... bar none... rumors abound about his going pro... with someone like Tower of Power.

Actually the Avant Garde Soloist in 84 was Tony Gambaro and Greg Mataruga With Tony doin all the screamin. Dave Was a fine soloist as well Technically one of the best I've ever heard and his Twin Brother was an excellent snare drummer I believe he finished in the top three one year