Most under rated Brass

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Chuck...I noticed you mention 81 Sky Ryders. I've not heard that show but I sure dig the 82 show a lot. Definately sounded like their hornline was their strength....

By the way...... the mello ( or flugel ) soloist from 88 Wave - was one of the best I've heard in a long time...

CM

yeah. . . 1980, 1981, and 1982 were great years for Sky Ryders. . .

1980 has the best soprano trio I've ever heard in "Firedance". . . those guys could flat out play.

1981 was the first year they were possible for finals -- finished 14th at DCI, but made DCI Midwest Finals -- thus, their appearance on the Legacy DVD from that year. Once again, great soprano line, and the sound they were beginning to get in the low brass could only be described as awesome. . . new King contras, John Simpson working the line, and Larry Kerchner charts. . . WOW!!!

1982 was some of the same music (Earth Wind & Fire's "Faces"), but they did "La Virgin de la Macarena" rather than "Firedance", and did "Come In From The Rain" (popular that year from Melissa Manchester and Captain & Tennille!) instead of "Here's That Rainy Day" (a beautiful arrangement remeniscent of the version by The Singers Unlimited).

1983 was a good hornline, especially at the end, but they were past their peak at that point, and would not regain that form for another 3 or 4 years. . . this time doing movie musical music rather than jazz. . .

...Has got to be the Velvet Knights!

Ohh yea sure they're not the high brass winners but man what a hornline!!! ^OO^

:luke:

81 Sky Ryders

86 Spirit & Garfield

87 Troopers - what a nice hornline but couldn't march their way out of a wet paper bag.

88 SCV

94 Crossmen

Suncoast is one of the greatest hornlines. so is Madison

I was talking about the ones you don't hear about but are great nonetheless.

What about 94 Crossmen?

I can agree with this one. I've often marveled at some of the sounds I hear on the recordings from this line.

Magic 96-98. Even though I marched in 99 I feel we didn't match the quality of those previous lines.

• 4 weeks later...
91 Freelancers.... It's all about the bari lick at the end.

DO you mean at the end of 'Dance Suite'? That was a unison lick. ^0^

no Dave. I think he was talking about the "DOO-WEEEE-UHHHHH-AHHHHHH!!!!" at the end of Bells. You know where all the upper leads did our best to imitatea French Horn line??

Yeah, that was fun to play!

(Quote) 87 Troopers - what a nice hornline but couldn't march their way out of a wet paper bag. (End Quote)

Now THERE's something that I never thought I'd hear about The Troopers.

RON HOUSLEY

You had to see it to believe it. Great music book, but...

I can't believe someone mentioned 88 Cadets - wow - that was some ragged stuff

Naw, 88 Cadets rocked! 2nd in brass, I think...