Beyond soprano soloists...

79 Scouts Baritone soloist from "God Bless the Child"

That would be Perry Smith and the year was 1978. Perry was one of my best friends, he marched from 75-80. Also i think Dave Ramthun was a great Bari horn player from that era (75-82) many solo's and of course i cant forget DanS210057563 (we cant forget him because he's always posting...lol) 77-78

Edited by RobertPi1ot

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard a lot of fine baritone soloists in my day. . . but my top 3 are:

1) Dave Lang (Colts 1984 and 1985 solos are representative)

Dave marched the Colts from 1979 - 1985. He won individuals at age 16 in 1982. Star of Indiana actually wrote their show around him in 1988, but he was unable to march that year (would have aged out). He was a natural, playing lyrically and sweetly in all registers, while owning power and range that were just sick. Lip trills? Just sick. . .

2) Doug "Moonwhale" "Moonie" "Pooh Bear" Kenyon

Dougie marched Colts from 1974 - 1980, and aged out of Blue Devils in 1981 as one of the baritone duetists in "Dindi" that year. Great closeup of him in the Legacy DVD in that duet (blonde hair). If you can dig up an obscure recording of the 1980 Colts, you will hear his talents as well! He recently began marching again in the Kilties (2000 and 2001) and Royalaires (2002, 2003). He won DCA baritone individuals again this year. Range, power, tone. . . a true natural, and just sickly talented. Oh yeah, plays by ear. How good is Doug? He's on the Blue Devils Wall-of Fame after spending just 3 months marching with them. . .

3) Aaron Goldberg (Crossmen 2000, 2001)

Aaron is truly gifted as a player. Probably his best exposure would be all the solos in "Noboby Does Me" from the Crossmen 2000 show. He reminded me a lot of Dave Lang, with a sweet tone, musicality coming out his ears, and the ability to make his horn do anything he could think of. We used to change things on the spot just to see if he could do it. . . and he always came through. . . I cannot say enough good things about him as a player or a person. He's currently on the Crossmen's brass staff.

There are more I'm sure. . . lots more. . . but whenever I need a standard setter in the area of baritone soloing. . . it's these three guys that raised the bar to a new place in my opinion. They NEVER missed.

Chuck Naffier

Chuck, Dave Lang was awesome! I remember seeing the Colts at Whitewater early in the day and he just stole the show.

Carl Allison (Freelancers) was pretty solid, too.

For Mellos, the standard to me will always be Barbara Maroney, Cadets. That '84 version of WSS was all her. There was so much exposure and demand and she delivered every time!

Bonnie Ott is another great mello, especially when you consider that she was playing that solo on a piston/rotor!!

There are so many more, I'll have to go back to the lps, cds, dvds and find some more!

2) Doug "Moonwhale" "Moonie" "Pooh Bear" Kenyon

Dougie marched Colts from 1974 - 1980, and aged out of Blue Devils in 1981 as one of the baritone duetists in "Dindi" that year. Great closeup of him in the Legacy DVD in that duet (blonde hair). If you can dig up an obscure recording of the 1980 Colts, you will hear his talents as well! He recently began marching again in the Kilties (2000 and 2001) and Royalaires (2002, 2003). He won DCA baritone individuals again this year. Range, power, tone. . . a true natural, and just sickly talented. Oh yeah, plays by ear. How good is Doug? He's on the Blue Devils Wall-of Fame after spending just 3 months marching with them. . .

LOL! ==> Moonwhale

I've got an early season recording of Pooh Bear in 81 playing Dindi with some screamin notes that were eventually pulled. Definitely has range and an abundance of power.

Last year after the Chinese New Years parade in SF, Pooh Bear played his horn outside Chevy's...sounded like a GD freight train blasting it's horn. Funny as ####.

Can't forget Bonnie Ott. Mello with the Blue Devils in the early/mid 70's. Gail Royer always said he'd add women to the horn line if she'd come to Santa Clara.

Good one! She was a great player.. not bad looking either! :P Sorry to sound sexist but she was cute!

Suncoast Bari solo in 85 (Midnight in Miami, Bob Barfield)

Yep, I was going to mention him, didn't know his name though.

Also...

Carl, the DM/bari soloist for Freelancers in 1983-84

The mello soloist for 1983-84 Garfield. %^$&... I can't remember her name but she was awesome!!!