Beyond soprano soloists...

The mello soloist for 1983-84 Garfield. %^$&... I can't remember her name but she was awesome!!!

Barbara Maroney. And yes, she was awesome.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

79 Scouts Baritone soloist from "God Bless the Child"

That would be Perry Smith and the year was 1978. Perry was one of my best friends, he marched from 75-80. Also i think Dave Ramthun was a great Bari horn player from that era (75-82) many solo's and of course i cant forget DanS210057563 (we cant forget him because he's always posting...lol) 77-78

Thanks Robert but I was never a soloist. Almost went up at State Fair during "God Bless" my age out show for the #### of it, but it became clear to me early in that show that I wanted to go out with my best performance rather than a stunt. My brother was there with his camera, kinda wish I did it now as there would have been some memorable pictures of it!

Nuther guy I recall is from Colts I believe it was somewhere between 79-82. Bari solo from their closer Evergreen which he finishes up on a high G I think. So high it sounded like a slide whistle.

One more is the Bari solist from 73 Bridgemen during "Free". OMG that guy could wail.

Can't forget Bonnie Ott. Mello with the Blue Devils in the early/mid 70's. Gail Royer always said he'd add women to the horn line if she'd come to Santa Clara.

agreed

I'll toss one in from my playing days.

Jay wise, Baritone Soloist in Take 5 (Bluecoats 88) the feel in his solo and then duet with Steve Wyclaw was very nice

Oh yeah!! I forgot about that guy from Coats! That was a most righteous solo! I also rememmber meeting Jeff Wise ( brother ) during tour in 91 in a Wendy's after Dekalb. He is good people...

CM

By the way-- I've not noticed them posting on here or on RAMD ( in a looonnngg time )...anyone know what they are up to?

contra soloist in scouts 98 (hall of the mountain king)... hey, you gotta give him some credit, it's not every day you hear a contra solo

Speaking of contra solo's, how about the guy from 27th in '79 & '80 during "Open Wide"? Fun stuff!!

Hey, I wanna solo!

The mello soloist for 1983-84 Garfield. %^$&... I can't remember her name but she was awesome!!!

Barbara Maroney. And yes, she was awesome.

Thank you. Her name was right on the tip of my tongue. I loved listening to her. Great tone and control.