Beyond soprano soloists...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't forget Bonnie Ott. Mello with the Blue Devils in the early/mid 70's. Gail Royer always said he'd add women to the horn line if she'd come to Santa Clara.

Good one! She was a great player.. not bad looking either! :P Sorry to sound sexist but she was cute!

So...whatever happened to Bonnie Ott? What's she doing these days?

Anybody know? Bueller? Anyone?

One more is the Bari solist from 73 Bridgemen during "Free".  OMG that guy could wail.

The Bari soloist in "FREE" (72 & 73 ) was Eddie Irwin ------a phenomenal player with tremendous range, and an all around great guy to boot...........

He's now out in the San Diego area somewhere.....You SoCal Dream guys should

seek him out.

Not to take anything away from Bob Gironda ----he played the Bari solo in "FREE"

in 1974, and later went on to a great career with the NY Skyliners, ---- but Eddie's

solo was the more challenging and had fans' jaws dropping in amazement.

I'm proud to have marched with both Eddie & Bob and as great as they were as

performers.........they're super individuals as well.

Tom K.

Bridgemen, 65-75.

Who did the Mello solo in Legend for BD in 78?

That was and still is to this day my favorite mello solo ever.

(But the Renegades solo in 2001 was just as spectacular...Chris Nalls right)?

I'm going to toss baritone soloist from '93 Blue Devils into the list. That guy was just amazing. Now I know your asking yourself "Which soloist are you talking about? There were quite a few." I say take your pick. The Blue Devils have produced some of the best baritone players around.

the small group in Strawberry Soup has this bari lip trill that is just DISGUSTING! I LOVE IT!

I'm going to be lacking some names here, but I'll try to be as specific as possible.

Early 90's BD Bari player - Jim Rogers

Mid-80's Colts - Dave Lang (Had the opportunity to see an old video tape. Good stuff.)

1994 Contra Soloist from Pioneer - talk about making the big horn speak!!!

Flugelhorn soloist from Glassmen 2002 - Wow. And on a field nonetheless.

79/80 Guardsmen Baritone and Mello soloists from "Tiger of San Pedro"

79 mello was Glen Conrad, 80 mello I think was Ruth Burke. I can't remember the bari solists...

It seems most have been hitting on junior corps soloists, but without a doubt, one of the most phenomenal baritone solists in all of drum corps has to be Genevieve Danis, baritone soloist for the past few years with Brigs. One of the finest sounds ever produced on the horn, period.

As for my other favorites - Barbara Moroney: the reason I ever got into the activity; and the flugel soloist from Glassmen last year - amazing technique and a beautiful sound.