Beyond soprano soloists...

Magic has had a run of great baritone and mellophone soloists over the years. Check out Chad Kirk in the begining of Land of Make Believe from '99 (some unusual stuff he's doing there). Willie I. (sp??) from on alto in '98 in Willow (absolutely beautiful).

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavaliers' '03 Rainbow soloist was Greg Hahn. He plays horn here at my school (Central Missouri State University).

A Few "Other Than Soprano Soloists"

From "Way Back When":

French Horn Bugle:

Frank "Buzzy" Bergdoll: St Kevins Emerald Knights

Joseph Olivard: St Josephs of Batavia

Barbara Finch: St Annes Loyalaires

Baritone Bugle:

William Hightower: St Catherine of Sienna Queensmen

Mike Ramelli: Chicago Royal Airs

Wayne Karge: Chicago Cavaliers

Ruben Ariolla: St Josephs Patron Cadets

Brian Aller: Racine Kilties

"Rugo" Rugoletti: Cambridge Caballeros

John Magnifico: St Kevins Emerald Knights

John Chalmus: Brooklyn Privateers & Blesed Sacrament

William Adamski: Racine Scouts & Casper Troopers

I'm quite sure I've missed more than a few "Other Than Soprano" soloists from that era, but these names come to mind.

Considering the horns that these soloists had to play on (examples of which pop up on E Bay from time to time) they were truly excellent performers and "Masters of Their Art".

Elphaba

These "non-sops" all wowwed me at different times. In cronological order of me seeing them:

Bill Adamski - Racine Scouts late 60s - Troopers 69-7? - This guy won numerous VFW Bari solo titles with both corps.

Bill Mudge - Kilties late 60s - His "choo-choo" solo was always perfect.

Pepi Natoro (sp?) - Has anyone even come close to playing a Frenchie like this guy? If so, I haven't heard it.

The Contra soloist in Pioneer 1994 - Best contra solo I've ever heard. The dude could play lower than anyone I've ever heard. He played so low, he made dogs shut up!

Doug "Pooh Bear" Kenyon - (he first wowwed me as a Kilt, that's why he's toward the end of my list) Colts, BD, Kilts and RA - Only baritone to play one of the high notes in Syne on Bari - WOW!

Flugel Horn solist in Glassmen 2002 - Was never a fan of Glassmen shows until I saw/heard him.

Two different guys, two different years:

1965 and 1966 California State Open Baritone Individuals Winners.

Oh, and that guy who played "Do Nothing 'Till You Hear From Me" in an early Anaheim Kingsmen concert number. He had his fans back in the day.

Props to all lower brass!

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

These "non-sops" all wowwed me at different times. In cronological order of me seeing them:

Bill Adamski - Racine Scouts late 60s - Troopers 69-7? - This guy won numerous VFW Bari solo titles with both corps.

Bill's last year with Troopers was 70---he was the soloist in "Scarborough Fair" in 1969.....was killed in that tragic car accident sometime after the 1970 season.

Bill Mudge - Kilties late 60s - His "choo-choo" solo was always perfect.

And so was his MacArthur Park solo in 70....and he is back in the area! (The Klassics will be a calling!)

The Contra soloist in Pioneer 1994 - Best contra solo I've ever heard. The dude could play lower than anyone I've ever heard. He played so low, he made dogs shut up!

Karl Mueller...also played G contra in the UW-Whitewater band

Doug "Pooh Bear" Kenyon - (he first wowwed me as a Kilt, that's why he's toward the end of my list) Colts, BD, Kilts and RA - Only baritone to play one of the high notes in Syne on Bari - WOW!

who?? :P First wowed me in 81--didn't know who he was of course. And now he has two DCA baritone titles to his credit out of the three years he's entered. Wonder if Renegades will show him off at all?