Freelancers

The Freelancers sparked my interest in drum corps in sort of a roundabout way. The first drum corps show I ever saw live was "Sound Expo" at Hughes Stadium (e.g. the Freelancers' "home show") back in 1984. And we all know what a year that was: BD blowing everyone's hair back with "La Fiesta," SCV's killer horn line on "Fanfare and Allegro," the Freelancers doing the Tower of Power thang with "What is Hip?" All of this kept me coming back to "Sound Expo" (and Stockton's "Moonlight Classic") until I finally took the drum corps plunge and marched SCV in '87. Not marching your hometown corps is for another thread, but Sac Town has never felt the same without the Freelancers. I miss 'em ...

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Freelancers sparked my interest in drum corps in sort of a roundabout way. The first drum corps show I ever saw live was "Sound Expo" at Hughes Stadium (e.g. the Freelancers' "home show") back in 1984. And we all know what a year that was: BD blowing everyone's hair back with "La Fiesta," SCV's killer horn line on "Fanfare and Allegro," the Freelancers doing the Tower of Power thang with "What is Hip?"

Oh man.....that was my worst performance...we changed a turn direction at the end of "Latin Implosion" (the backfield one at the end) that day and I missed it in show....

Edited by 84BDsop

One of my most vivid memories out of 27 years of watching drum corps was seeing the '88 Freelancers in Sevierville, TN as a fierce lightning/thunderstorm was almost on top of the stadium!

I still tell people about that show.

I loved the 83-85 offerings from SAC. We played Breakin' Up/Lover Come Back in my HS band, it was much fun. The next year we tackled Born Again, which also did not suck.

I REALLY liked the 85 show. The music was quite cool, and I really liked the uni's. (That _was_ the year of the funky unis that seemed to change when you turned around and such...no?)

A good corps that is missed. :(

"We got something you're really gonna like!"

"Here it is!"

"Live! From Sacramento... the Freelancers!"

Good stuff!

:lol::lol::lol: B)

Just remembering those "statements" from the various shows still gives me major goosebumps! I haven't heard those shows in many, many years. Can anyone pinpoint which years these came from? The ones listed above, along with "Play Ball!" Am I missing any?

Just remembering those "statements" from the various shows still gives me major goosebumps! I haven't heard those shows in many, many years. Can anyone pinpoint which years these came from? The ones listed above, along with "Play Ball!" Am I missing any?

"We got something you're really gonna like!" DM Carl Allison in teh 83 show after teh corps played the opening statement of the closer, "Even Now"

"Here it is!" Carl again....same show....key change to the push, same chart

"Live! From Sacramento... the Freelancers!" The whole corps, 1984, right after the tymjpani thunder roll starts to open the show.

I know "Play Ball" was shouted on the ready-front in 83....don't know about other years.

Marwan....you would not believe how cheap those 85 unis are...as I've said many times...I have them in my garage (although the number of pieces declines every time I send someone the one they wore)

"We got something you're really gonna like!" DM Carl Allison in teh 83 show after teh corps played the opening statement of the closer, "Even Now"

"Here it is!" Carl again....same show....key change to the push, same chart

"Live! From Sacramento... the Freelancers!" The whole corps, 1984, right after the tymjpani thunder roll starts to open the show.

I know "Play Ball" was shouted on the ready-front in 83....don't know about other years.

Marwan....you would not believe how cheap those 85 unis are...as I've said many times...I have them in my garage (although the number of pieces declines every time I send someone the one they wore)

The 85 uniforms were terrible. I saw them once and that was it, I knew things were changing. 85 was a difficult year because we has so many staff changes and gimmicks with the ramps and all. I left after the second camp as a lot of people did, but I do cherish the two years I was there.

At DCI prelims in 1981, we were waiting anxiously to see if we had gotten into finals. I was down at the opposite end of the stadium from where the prelims scores were posted and I heard cheering like you wouldn't believe. I thought to myself "Well that's either us or the Freelancers" so I wandered down to the scoreboard and saw the Freelancers celebrating. I was crushed of course, but if it couldn't be us, then I'm glad it was Sac.

RES

I still tell people about that show.

Man, that WAS a great show.

Another memorable event that happened at the Sevierville show in 88 is as the storms got worse, SCV and the Madison Scouts both ran for cover into the gymnasium and we (I marched SCV 88) were standing around mingling, waiting for the rain to subside, and somehow or another we ended up playing parts of our show to one another, and played "You'll Never Walk Alone" together (we had the same arrangement back then)

Memories.............................and yes, I agree that Sac Town just does NOT and will NEVER feel the same without the Freelancers. I really, really miss that drum corps.

I would love to find out what some of those people are doing these days. Scott, where are you in TN? I'm in Nashville.

Scott lives in Nashville.