1973 Argonne Rebels

Hey folks....

Anyone know of a place I could get a listen to the 73 show for these guys. "Fanfare for the New" is one of my favorite pieces ( not to mention "Malaga" ). I understand that hornline was smoking hot.....

thanks,

CM

Yeah, I remember that show, and you're right, that hornline was red hot. I might have that record, but I have no turntable. Didn't they finish 2nd in brass that year? I think they closed with Stars and Stripes too. They did indeed had a great hornline.

And they did Stars and Stripes for their closer

They had the biggest hornline in finals that year--64. They weren't as good as they were in 71 and 72, but they were still second to Madison, even though they took 11th overall.

The best part---Fanfare and Malaga were very much verbatim.....something that's just not done anymore.

And they did Stars and Stripes for their closer

They had the biggest hornline in finals that year--64. They weren't as good as they were in 71 and 72, but they were still second to Madison, even though they took 11th overall.

The best part---Fanfare and Malaga were very much verbatim.....something that's just not done anymore.

They did "S&S" in 71 as well, plus "JCS". "B&B Favorites" was their marvelous opener.

What a great horn line in 71.

Mike

I hear ya! Argonne's line was SMOKIN' at the VFW Nationals in '71. WOW!! Still sounds fantastic today.

A related item:

Digging through some old drum corps records recently, I came across the album entitled "5.0." It's a recording of the Argonne Rebels and Madison Scouts from 1971, the year both corps scored a perfect 5.0 in the old content-analysis caption... the only two hornlines to get that perfect mark that year.

Fran

I hear ya! Argonne's line was SMOKIN' at the VFW Nationals in '71. WOW!! Still sounds fantastic today.

They came in just ahead of us; our horn mark was very low at VFW's, and their rather odd (quite high) drum mark gave them the nod over us.

That was a great night in Dallas, and we were happy to come in 7th, but I still think the 71 WO was my favorite all time show.

Mike

Another thing about Argonne . . . I'm pretty sure I saw them on an NFL game halftime, when they used to show the bands/corps. It was probably a Chiefs or Broncos home game. The Troopers did the same. I can remember Curt Gowdy saying nice things about the Troopers.

Anyone remember that high-note trumpeter who used to play the National Anthem before Cowboys home games on TV? I think it was Tommy something. He had some good chops.

A related item:

Digging through some old drum corps records recently, I came across the album entitled "5.0." It's a recording of the Argonne Rebels and Madison Scouts from 1971, the year both corps scored a perfect 5.0 in the old content-analysis caption... the only two hornlines to get that perfect mark that year.

Fran

Ditto on Argonne. Their horn line exhibited a very high level of musicianship with a '"brass choir" richness thanks to Sandra Opie their horn instructor.

They were the first 50+ sized line I ever heard (in 1970) and they sounded it. Barnum and Bailey was spine tingling with no watering down of its difficult runs which they just belted out in true old time drum corps fashion. Truely, a "Hall of Fame" drum corps.

Here is a link to a very interesting insider's memory of this corps. http://dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=df066...fe-92eddf71627c

Geoff