What's Your Biggest Thrill In Drum Corps

That's 'cuz Marquis didn't go....... ^0^

Exactly!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my biggest thrill would have to be the 75 SCV Bottle Dance. Watching the 75 DCI finals, Being a finalist at the first ever Class A DCI finals in 75. And one of the greatest guard moves of all time. I think it was the Kingsmen when the the flags and rifles were in a line and once the Guard slamed down the flags the rifles went up in the air. And then they throw the flages to each other. not sure if I got the right Corps for that move.

1991 DCI East Finals Retreat

Getting to watch the Blue Devils March off BEFORE the Crossmen.

Never thought I'd see that.

"Biggest Thrill":

We've had several, but one that comes to mind is the Finals of the 1965 World Open Championships. Three Connecticut corps, ALL OF THEM FROM Bridgeport Connecticut (Where that years Championship was held) placed in the night show, well into the "Top 10". They copped a third, sixth and seventh place respectivly.

Do you think that there was just a "Little Bit" of talent in the old "Park City"?

Elphaba

I marched 11 years in two junior and one senior corps and had many big thrills but the best was watching both of my kids march together in 1984. I was a very happy dad.

I remember that show in Bayonne. As I remember it, we got a standing O coming onto the field from the Bayonne home town crowd. The ovation afterwards was simply amazing. I don't recall why we were angry but I do recall several inspiring speeches from our new M&M instructor.

The soprano line was simply amazing that year as was the rest of the horn line. I still think of the 82 season as the "Dream" season. It seemed so simple to just go out and "win".

I think the 84 corps was everybit as talented with that same burning desire the 82 corps had, maybe even more talented. Although, the season was not so "simple". The 84 corps had to fight and demonstrate reckless abandonment in its performances. There was absolutely no fear of making mistakes in that corps, it was always put it on the line if we wanted to hear "...and in 1st place".

Regardless, being able to experience that level of performance is simply incredible. Hopefully many in other corps get to experience that "high" of having those performances where when you are done you just think how lucky you are to be abe to experience something like that....knowing the corps as a whole "nailed" the show and to stand on the field at the end and listen to the crowd going nuts.

Ah the engaging Mr. Brown. thanks for the memories of 1982. It was so simple becasue you guys worked so hard. Or maybe it was that fine level of instruction you got? :P Great year all the way around. We had fun and we loved being great. 1984 we just did not have the show to compete against the Cadets show that year which was one for the ages but the judges got it right, we took high horns, high drums, high guard, and cadets took the show by a tenth. At the time it seemed unfair but in retrospect, it was a good call.

The only other experience I had close to it was the 94 corps performance at Finals. I thought they were going to get a 100.

1970 Milwaukee. First time ever that we beat EVERYONE. And "everyone" was wondering "Who the 'heck' ARE these Guys?". Heh, couldn't have been sweeter...

Glad to see this thread still going. Above is my answer from 2 years ago. So, if I may, I'd like to say that my second biggest thrill was doing the "Bottle Dance" (see below) for my very first time in front of a DCI audience in Madison (no less) at the age of 47 (fifth from the left)...I'll never forget the roar of the crowd... Thanks guys :)

Now, on to the 3rd, 4th and 5th biggest thrills... Naw, I'll save that for another day :rolleyes: .

Maggie - you ROCK!

My biggest thrill was winning 70 Shriner's when we cut one snare before the show (wasn't me!) and I had to play the famous triplet roll during Syne and it came out perfectly right next to the mike on the field, and I never felt better!

All at age 16 no less!

I have two rings, I was involved in one of the greatest drum corps battles of the 70's ('75), I was a part of a corps that started with about 9 people who had ever marched in a drum corps before and came back the next year and came in 3rd in execution drums at prelims, but I have had no greater thrill in this activity than to meet the woman I intend to spend the rest of my life with.

Vickie, I love you....

the_two_of_us.jpg

Edited by Tansea

I have two rings, I was involved in one of the greatest drum corps battles of the 70's ('75), I was a part of a corps that started with about 9 people who had ever marched in a drum corps before and came back the next year and came in 3rd in execution drums at prelims, but I have had no greater thrill in this activity than to meet the woman I intend to spend the rest of my life with.

Vickie, I love you....

the_two_of_us.jpg

AUHHHHHH, isn't that SPECIAL !!!!! (jk) :P :P

Nice catch !!!! ^OO^ ^OO^

The day I was issued my forest green uniform. It meant you had made the corps. Growing up in the Jr. Scouts, we viewed the Scouts as GODS. To be able to wear that uniform was simply awesome!

Edited by Roark1