If You Could Do It Differently.........

For me, I wish I had marched the last 2 years I was eligible.  But college was consuming my time and felt I needed to focus on that. 

That's my regret...not aging out in Garfield. I had a couple of years left when I stopped marching. College and the need to make $$$ in the summer got "in the way".

Mike

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my regret...not aging out in Garfield. I had a couple of years left when I stopped marching. College and the need to make $$$ in the summer got "in the way".

Mike

Make that 3 of us. I didn't march my age-out year because my girlfriend gave me #### the last year I DID march, so I worked and took some summer school classes. Looking back, I should have marched, either with the Quad City Knights, who were playing Chicago tunes, or maybe lived my dream and marched Garfield. What's the saying, if you love someone, set them free, if they don't come back, it was never meant to be? I think my (now) wife and I would have survived one more summer apart.

By the way, what was the rule for aging out in 1989? I turned 22 on August 1, 1989. I wonder if I would have been eligible...

I turned 22 on August 1, '84. I think by the rules in effect at that time I was done in '83.

Happy Birthday this Sunday, geneseo_bari_87!

I turned 22 on August 1, '84.  I think by the rules in effect at that time I was done in '83.

Happy Birthday this Sunday, geneseo_bari_87!

Same to ya! I'm going to a drum corps show on my birthday - is that cool or what? :)

I don't regret not marching my age out year. My knees are bad enough as they are now, I can't imagine what they would be like if I'd have pushed them for one more year. I would not change anything about the years I marched (except maybe those Southern #### busses).

My only regret is not starting earlier. I didn't realize how lucky I was to have such a great corps less than 15 minutes away (I grew up in St. Petersburg).

After listening to some arrangements I wrote for the 1971 Lynwood Diplomats, there's a lot of stuff I would have fixed that I just didn't have the skills to at the time.....first time I heard the corps in over 30 years I "knew" what I should have done had I but known better.

And.....I turned 21 on Aug. 1, 1968: in the Army at Ft. Lewis, Washington. This year I'll turn 57 on Aug 1st and all I hope I get is some good surf! We haven't had good surf on California's Central Coast in a couple weeks and my gills are getting very dry!

RON HOUSLEY

Nah...No way.

Nah, no regrets. Would do it all over again given half a chance!

I actually tried out for BD in 92 (My age out year) and would have made the line, but decided that the Freelancers were my home and where I belonged.

I started there in 87 after we folded. I was there the first time we made finals in 89. I was there for the heartbreak that was 1990, and the jubilant return that was 1991. I was also there in 91 when like half our corps aged out. I felt it was a duty, and an honor to finish out my junior corps career there, and help set the foundation for the future of the corps.

But THAT is a whole different story!

In 1970 I did the entire winter season, such as it was, went to all the camps, learned the drill and marched in a couple of parades and four shows with the Kilts. Then my mother presented me with a list of my financial obligations, with the biggest one being earning pocket money for college. I had no job at the time - I tried to get one in Racine - and I was forced to drop out of the corps. My younger brother stayed on, and I spent the summer following him. Ultimately, I got a job that I could have balanced with corps, but my brother advised me not to bother because the corps was going nowhere.

To this day, I regret not having the imagination to find a way to deal with the college finances. Things that I read about on this and other boards - sponsorships, working during the school year(duh!), and other ideas - never occurred to me.

I feel like the character Kevin Costner played in Bull Durham. I made it to The Show, but only for a little while.