Tell US About Your First Time Marching....

1970 Penn York prelims with the Royal Coachmen, we made finals that year. Surprised everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only marched once in the 1987 finals with Sky Ryders. I just tried to soak up everything I could about the whole experience.

When the Drum Major counted off to start the show, I remember thinking ok we're here, nail this. I still have not bought the tape. I've only seen crude tapes the instructores showed us of dress rehersals.

Everything was automatic by this time, I didn't have any brainlock what so ever.

We came in 12th and I left my black golves on the field with my name in them. I guess I knew marching my age out year just wasn't in the cards. As we marched off the field I felt satisfied with what I did and what the corps did.

Dude, did you know Mad dog that played Mello in '78?  We used to hang with him, he was fun!

BTW, the show was at Wheeling HS, not Buffalo Grove.  I remember this because Santa Clara was there and it rained all #### day, was a muddy mess at rehearsal.  I remember SCV's drumline playing inside in the gym.  Awesome!

Terri:

You might be talking about ME! A mellophone named Maddox...

As for the school, we stayed at Buffalo Grove with 3 or 4 more corps. What a joint!

Wow you may be him.

I hung with two REALLY tall guys. Drummers.

I'm getting old because we may have stayed at Buffalo Grove too.

My first finals was in 73 -- Whitewater, WI. I think we stayed in Janesville??? We had had kind of a stellar season that year. Troopers were the only one I remember being close to us. I remember expecting to win and I remember Gail's pep talk right before we performed reminding us that all we had to do was to do it tonight exactly the way we had done it so many other nights. Thankfully we did. I distinctly remember how difficult it was to stay in position at retreat thru the announcement of 1st place. We didn't let our emotions go until we were well out of the stadium ... and then it was WOW!

• 2 weeks later...
Dude, did you know Mad dog that played Mello in '78?  We used to hang with him, he was fun!

BTW, the show was at Wheeling HS, not Buffalo Grove.  I remember this because Santa Clara was there and it rained all #### day, was a muddy mess at rehearsal.  I remember SCV's drumline playing inside in the gym.   Awesome!

Terri:

You might be talking about ME! A mellophone named Maddox...

As for the school, we stayed at Buffalo Grove with 3 or 4 more corps. What a joint!

Wow you may be him.

I hung with two REALLY tall guys. Drummers.

I'm getting old because we may have stayed at Buffalo Grove too.

YES!

A couple of drum dudes!

What a riot!

We got old, didn't we?

• 3 weeks later...

My first finals....and my only finals...was semi-finals 1983 in Miami. I remember it vividly for two reasons...1)we went on at something like 11:45pm and 2) just hours earlier I had a front lower tooth knocked out!

I can remember the excitement of marching though the tunnel onto the field at the Orange Bowl, setting up at the top of the opener in front of a ton of people in the stands (which was surprising to me for it being so late at night) and hearing a jet plane fly overhead just as we are starting our first notes of the show. Being in the guard I had to smile the entire time and every breath was going over my newly exposed nerve endings (I'm telling you, that tooth was broken down to the gums) but I never felt the pain. I can remember at one point in the show, at an ending of one of our pieces, I was facing a corps member who in turn was facing back field. She briefly mouthed "Are you okay?" and then we were on our way again...later she told me I had tears pouring down but the biggest smile. When that show was done all I could think of was the fact that this was our last show, it was over and we had done an awesome job! We placed in the top 20....it was worth it! I still have the group corps photo they took following our performance and you can't tell by my smile that anything was wrong....but when that adrenaline wore off it was a different story.

I remember the dentist I went to in Homestead making the comment that he "didn't realize marching band was a contact sport"....I corrected him and explained that I was in drum corps and it's tougher than football.

My tooth is my "war story" from drum corps and my example through all my years of instructing of why only guard members should "play" with guard equipment. It was a percussionist playing with my flag that caused the entire thing....I'm not upset with him because he felt really bad about it. The entire trip home as I was only able to eat soft foods (or french fries) and could only drink using a straw...well I think that was punishment enough for him. I just hope he learned his lesson, but it did create a memory of my "finals" that I'll never forget. :D

• 1 month later...

"My first finals was in 73 -- Whitewater, WI. I think we stayed in Janesville??? "

Hey, who is this???? I remember '73 and Janesville, we partied our ###@s off with 27th afterwards at the Ramada Inn. I was so young and focused I really don't remember much except the sound of the metal interval sticks hitting the ground and Charley Anderson giving the chicken cluck. I do, however, remember retreat and being announced the winners. That was awesome.

Mike Braga

SCV 1973 - 1975