DCA Stories Pre 1990

hehehe  My Dad started in 1957 and ended in 1996.  Now he is an OLD FART !!!

when they said triples were going to quads he said that was more than he could handle

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no old DCA war stories.  One day I will, but not yet. 

Post 'em here, old timers!!

Here is a war story. I was wondering if it ever happened to someone else..

I began marching in senior corps in 1981. Mean while, my sister was still marching in junior corps. My sister and I are twins and we were 19 at the time.

Susan (my sister) and I shared ownership of a car at the time. I explained to my senior corps instructor that my sister was still marching in junior corps and that if she needed our car.. she would have it.. and I may not be able to make a practice here or there during the week. She was always gone on the weekends.. and I knew that I would be there (and explained that) come Friday.

Sure enough.. come Friday.. I was there. But I hadn't turned up for a rehearsal during the week due to my sister needing our car for her rehearsal.

I was told by my instructor (Bonnie - Jimmy Centorino's girlfriend at the time) that I would NOT march that weekend due to my absence during the week. :lol:

I was upset.. to say the least. I had never been denied.. marching. Learned a lesson though.. never gave MY SISTER MARCHES IN JUNIOR DRUM CORPS as an excuse again.

Later that year, at Barnum.. I received an injury to my hand that was catastrophic.. for me the rest of the year. I marched at DCA. I learned MY lesson..

That's MY war story! :lol:

Sharon

• 2 months later...

This isn't so much a "DCA story" but more of a "senior corps historical story" instead. Sorry, no drinking or fighting were involved.

The American Legion Championships were held in Portland, Oregon in 1970. The Yankee Rebels had made the trip all the way across the country for the show and were the first senior corps I had ever seen.

This was back in the days where half of their corps members wore the uniforms of the Union Army and the other half wore the uniforms of the Confederate Army from the civil war era.

After the "concert" portion of their show, when they had resumed marching, the corps members devided themselves into the two different "Armies" (Union and Confederate) on oposing sides of the fifty yard line. The two armies then turned facing each other and simotaneously began marching towards each other with the Union side playing "Battle Hymm of the Republic" while the Confederate side played "Dixie" at the same time!

It was truly unbelievable. For a fourteen year old kid who had never seen a world class championship quality corps before, I was completely blown away by this.

I could hear each song so distinctly as I recall. How did they do that? I was amazed.

I can't even begin to tell you how crazy the crowd went. Most people in the Pacific Northwest (me included) in 1970 had never seen anything like it before.

I still get chills thinking about it. Even now thirty-five years later as I type this!

Rice

• 2 weeks later...
Into the Sunriser War Stories treasure chest we go:  (this actually is one of the tamer stories from my time with Sun. Some of the REALLY wacko stuff that happened over the years is probably not even fit for a drum corps audience!!!!  LOL)

The year: 1981 or 1982. Both years we (Sunrisers) were hired by publisher/Mets owner Nelson Doubleday to do an exhibition at a party he threw for his wealthy friends at a Long Island country club over the 4th of July weekend. 

We did a full run-through of our show in uniform, while Mr. Doubleday and friends watched us from on top of a hill, and afterwards we got to chill out and drink some beer that Mr. Doubleday had provided.

So here we are, after our performance, hanging around having a beer or two (or 20.)  We notice that there were a number of very expensive cars (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.) parked all over the golf course at the country club (the cars driven by the Doubleday group).  Unlocked, with the keys still in the cars.

Next thing we know, here comes Dave Whelan, one of our soprano players, driving up to us in one of those expensive cars.  "Hop in!" he says. "I'm takin' this for a ride around the golf course!!!!" 

My brother Lenny was corps director at the time, and happened to be standing there when Dave drove up. Lenny's response to Dave was basically, WTF are you doing?????  Then he realized that Dave was serious about this, and when Dave made his mind up about something (often something illegal) you didn't stand in his way. So Lenny basically told him, "OK, I didn't see this. If you get caught, it's on you."

So off went Dave on his joyride.  He didn't get caught.

Later, Lenny was hanging around when a member of the Doubleday party, falling-down drunk, stumbled out to get in his car. The car Dave had, uh, "moved" earlier, now parked in a completely different location.  The guy was clueless as to what had happened!!!!  "Where's my #### car... I swear I left it right here", etc.

Just another day in paradise!!

Fran

BTW, there's also the "golf ball in the crotch during the performance" story from that very same day.  But that shall remain locked up in the Sunriser archives for now!!!!!

Fran,I STILL have a couple "lawn" chairs from that day......We had a fireworks show that night...from the bottom of THAT hill (we wern't suposed to be "up on the hill" (and the food was good)

Tony

Fran is the proper forum to talk about the naked bus rides.

Oscar

Oscar,I don't think ANY thread on DCP will allow those stories,butt...I do have my memory!

Tony

TONY WHITE!!!!!

Hmmm..... there was that night, 1982 I think it was, when a certain Sunrisers' drum major drove his motorcycle into the bar where we hung out.  b**bs

Fran

SHHH,that stuff aint legal you know! (doesn't everybody do that?)

Tony