DCA Stories Pre 1990

My first show as a member of a corps, was in 1981. My first show as a spectator was in 1960 at Hershey and I have never missed a Hershey show.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my fist show was the old Mt Carmel show in 69. i was weeks old.

my first show competing was a DCA show in Chicago. June 89. I remember learning the field warm up in a bus stop

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

my fist show was the old Mt Carmel show in 69. i was  weeks old.

my first show competing was a DCA show in Chicago. June 89.  I remember learning the field warm up in a bus stop

I was the same, born in July, at the show in August.

• 3 weeks later...
1977 Bridgeport Conn.  After the Sunrisers final run through, my dad brings a "few" friends over to our car to sing happy birthday.  128 sweaty people singing HAPPY BIRTHDAY as monotone and as LOUD  as possible.  I look back now (after $30,000 worth of therapy) and realize it is one of my fondest memories.  Got to take the trophy home too. :whistle:

Hello! I was one of those 128 singing happy birthday MONOTONE. I still do it to this day!

BTW, happy birthday!

• 1 month later...

Since getting out of DC in 1972 I travel every summer/all summer usually cycling a good bit of it. This year I spent the summer in St Petersburg Russia, also cycling from Helsinki, to St Petersburg and then to Tallinn Estonia.

Somewhere near the Russian border(like the 300th mile) thoughts turned to drum corps and I vowed... "when I get home I want to read DCP and catch up with the old stories" etc.

I get on the historical site and there are 13 pages, 11 of which are about some fight that occurred 30 years ago...and I realised...I missed NOTHING. :( (wow)

• 2 months later...

As I'm bored at work just scanning through the old topics I noticed this. This show was also my first competiton. That was a long weekend. Chicago on Saturday night and Dayton the afternoon afterwards. We ended up 3rd in both shows, beating Guelph Royalaires,who ended up 12th that season, in the Sunday show. As a 15 year old kid in my first show, it was a heck of a way to start my drum corps life. What made it more interesting was showing up for band practice on Monday.

my first show competing was a DCA show in Chicago. June 89. I remember learning the field warm up in a bus stop

Edited by twillms73

dude wow....we broke our drum corps cherries the same day!

That means I was chief judge for Jeff Ream's first two contests ever...

now THAT is frightening... and I survived it...