DCA Stories Pre 1990

Give me some time to remember,the OL` BRAIN an`t what it used to be!

Lynn Continentals (Lynn,Mass.) 63-68, 1st Bari

Boston Crusaders (Boston,Mass) 69, 3rd Bari

Renagades (Malden,Mass.) 70-73, 1st & 2nd Bari

Huricanes (Sheldon,Conn.) 74,Color Guard, Rifle Line

Sunrisers (L.I.N.Y.) 75, Asst.Color Guard Capt. & DM 81-85

Retired OLD guy!

Tony

TONY WHITE!!!!!

Hmmm..... there was that night, 1982 I think it was, when a certain Sunrisers' drum major drove his motorcycle into the bar where we hung out. b**bs

Fran

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TONY WHITE!!!!!

Hmmm..... there was that night, 1982 I think it was, when a certain Sunrisers' drum major drove his motorcycle into the bar where we hung out.  b**bs

Fran

Gee, and to think Sun had the "Goodie Two Shoes" reputation back then :P

Well compared to the reputation of that other corps from the NYC area anyway.

Gee, and to think Sun had the "Goodie Two Shoes" reputation back then  :P

Well compared to the reputation of that other corps from the NYC area anyway.

Ahhh.... what little you guys knew about us back then. ^0^ B) b**bs

A great corps that worked hard.... but also had a LOT of fun. A whole bunch of rather colorful "war stories" from back in the day!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

• 2 weeks later...

1972 Roosevelt Stadium NJ (fortunately no longer with us). We (Crusaders) had a little confrontation with the Skyliners, who were the only corps we didn't beat that year. Lefty Meyer and his entourage nose to nose with Vince Bruni, both parties backed up by their entire corps. Cooler heads ultimately prevailed as we were outnumbered ~ 120 to 90 (our female guard notwithstanding). Only a few punches and beer bottles thrown. Could have been much worse. Memorable none the less.

1972 Roosevelt Stadium NJ (fortunately no longer with us). We (Crusaders) had a little confrontation with the Skyliners, who were the only corps we didn't beat that year. Lefty Meyer and his entourage nose to nose with Vince Bruni, both parties backed up by their entire corps. Cooler heads ultimately prevailed as we were outnumbered ~ 120 to 90 (our female guard notwithstanding). Only a few punches and beer bottles thrown. Could have been much worse. Memorable none the less.

Clifton HS Stadium - Caballeros show

yup Ray...

he stands corrected... Clifton HS parking lot... I was standing right next to Bruni. However, it was not an even count as the police had locked a large part of Cru inside the stadium, blocking them from joining the rest in the parking lot...

it was not pretty... but it was over quick without any damage...

Saw this thread and it caught my eye. My Dad was telling old drum corps stories just the other day to Tom and this one I thought was pretty funny.

Back in the early 70's there was a show in NY where the corps were playing exhibition. They were judging the show by "applause meter".

The Hamburg Kingsmen was the corps my father was with at the time. One of the guys had an old Dodge. The drum line used to "play" the car at rehearsals. At this show they decided to use the car as part of their show. Before the corps took the field the drummers all loaded up into this car and drove around and around the field. They stopped infront of the grand stands and all got out. The bass drummers used the open doors for their parts, the hubcaps as the tink tink tink of the cymbals and the grill and hood for the other rythmic parts. The crowd went NUTS. :rolleyes: While they were doing this the rest of the corps marched onto the field to this cadence. the drummers then drove off the field and grabbed their equipment and cadenced onto the field. The corps played their show and "won" the show.

I personally don't remember this show since I was not their but I do recall the rehearsals while they did this.

Guess this might be a new thought for Crunchy Frog huh? b**bs

yup Ray...

he stands corrected...  Clifton HS parking lot...  I was standing right next to Bruni.  However, it was not an even count as the police had locked a large part of Cru inside the stadium, blocking them from joining the rest in the parking lot...

it was not pretty...  but it was over quick without any damage...

I do indeed stand corrected. in fact, I'm surprised that I remembered THAT much!

Storky