DCA Stories Pre 1990

Check with Ski. Bucs took high drums that year. 81? Still the most talented hornline I've ever had the honor to listen to. I know alot of those guy (and girls) marched in 84 when I joined.

Sunrisers took High Drums in 1979 - Bucs had a great show to win DCA but not in drums. Sun also won drums in 1981.

I know Sun took drums in 79. The original thread was about 74 Bucs who took high drums.

Nice to see you here Larry

Oscar

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you people are all babies. your not old. my first contest was in 1967. i retired in 1980. thats old.

crusaders......67-72, 75-77, 80

you people are not old........your babies. my first contest was in 1967. i retired in 1980

crusaders......67-72. 75-77, 80

wow then my dad's older than you. he started in 62 and ended in 78

:rolleyes:

OK you'se guys!

I don't have any pre 77 stories except for a couple of horror stories from the 72 Legion  nationals in Chitown, but since I noticed Fran was looking in, here's one to jog HIS memories.

MBI went out to Allentown in 77 for its 1st real shot at DCA.  On Sunday morning, we moved en masse to an area about 1/2 mile down the street from ASD (J. Birney Crum) Stadium to get one last run through before Prelims.  As we were marching back to the lot where the busses were, we started hearing a lot of yelling.  As we came around the busses, we saw Hawthorne in one spot, the Sunrisers in another, and in the middle agitating everybody were the Skyliners.

to make a long story short, amongst a cloud of dust, the 3 corps got into it, hands , sticks, flag pikes and rifles were flying everywhere, not to mention the f- bombs.  We all sat on our busses in shock.  I felt bad for Sun. They were the only one of the 3 corps who had women, since Sky and Hawthorne were still all male.  I can't imagine how some of the injured went on for both prelims and Finals that day, but I did see people with black eyes and swollen lips going out for Finals.

That was one of the best shows I remember seeing, as Hawthorne made a big run at Finals, only to fall .05 short.. Sunrisers had a great show too, but what a way to remember my first DCA show. 

Pat

This past June 6th at the Elks convention in Wildwood, N.J. I had a discussion a buddy of mine who was a former member of the Surisers and had marched that year and had been a witness not just to what occurred following the Prelims but also what had led up to that fiasco.

The events that occurred that had gotten Butch Anderson so enraged was the following:

The "rule of the day", as declared in the judges meeting just prior to prelims, was that each Corps would enter and exit the field to their own street beat. As we (New York Skyliners) finished our performance and were exiting to our street beat, the Sunrisers began their street beat before we had completely exited from the stadium.

What Butch DIDN'T know was that the supervisor judge (that's the guy who tells each Corps to enter the field) told the Sunrisers DM, not once, not twice, but three times to enter the field. By "rule of the day" they would have to enter to their own street beat, that meant that they would have to start their street beat BEFORE we had completely exited the stadium. Suns DM refused to do that twice. The third time the supervising judge told Sun's DM that if he didn't have his Corps enter the field he would penalize Sunrisers. With that Suns DM started his Corps onto the field to their street beat. THAT is what enraged Butch (and few others of us who knew of the "rule of the day".

After Sun finished their show and were exiting the stadium, Teddy Heumann, who my wife had marched with in the Secaucus Meadowlarks back in the mid 60's, aproached Butch to try and explain what had happened. Butch wasn't listening to any of it and what resulted was he and a couple of others form New York being attacked by a large number of Sunrisers. When Cabs, who were standing at the top of the hill saw that we (Skyliners were greatly out numbered) came to help us.

IMHO, it was a stupid judge error compounded by someone or some people who just couldn't open their ears and listen to a simple explanation.

"nough said. It's over. Thie above explanation is NOT meant to arouse any ill will, rather just to clarify what actuallt took place that day.

well YOUR still a baby. that also dosen't mean your dads older

well YOUR still a baby. that also dosen't mean your dads older

40's getting closer if it helps :P

My 1st year marching was 1958.... my last was 2000

wow frankie. I know I usually bow when i see you as is...but wow.