DCA Stories Pre 1990

That means I was chief judge for Jeff Ream's first two contests ever...

now THAT is frightening...  and I survived it...

What's more, so did Jeff. ^0^

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That means I was chief judge for Jeff Ream's first two contests ever...

now THAT is frightening...  and I survived it...

More frightening than my 24 hour (each way) trip in the same bus from PA to New Orleans. Trip wasn't as bad for two reasons.

1) Jeff hadn't hit puberty yet (and the Internet wasn't in wide use either)

2) I hit legal drinking age two weeks earlier. I kinda remember going thru NC/VA on the way home.

i did survive the 89 trip, tho barely.

a) someone started asking if we were there yet before we even left CV. b( every tunnel we hit cued bus football. c) every hour on the hour First Circle and Crossmen 86 drum solo were played. d) we almost ran out of beer by Indiana.

worst of all, the beer was Natty Bo. ampssuck

got to Chicago a way too early, killed time in a bus stop waiting for McD's to open learning 6 on 4 and 5/8 combo/Devils tag warmup.

ride to Dayton was very quiet....funny we won a DCA show for the first time since 83...and we slept.

Dayton was hot as #### on the turf, and to make it worse, someone in the tenorline ( we wont mention any Hackman names) had bad gas during Strawberry Soup.

the way home was fun, and we almost got arrested in Columbus, but i wont say why as charges may still be pending:P

Our ride with SOLI was just as eventful. Left LI way too late so we didn't get to Chicago til about noon. We got to the park we were supposed to practice at and all fields were taken and for some reason we couldn't take one. We practice as best we can, and hop on the bus. Bus wont start. As we know we're not gonna make the showers, we start washing up at a water fountain with a hose. After all that, we start to push start the bus and finally get it going. We get to the stadium just in time to buzz a note or 2 and march on the field. We come in a distant 3rd behind Westshore and Steel City.

Our trip to Dayton was even more special. Somewhere en route, the bus starts shaking like mad. We're forced to pull over where it's discovered that not only did we have a flat...but one tire flew off the axle possibly killing a cow. After help finally arrives, we get to Dayton about 7 in the morning. Enough time to pass out on the arena floor for a few hours and go do the show. Jeff's absolutely right saying it was hot on that turf. I think we had 3 people pass out and the soles of my shoes were melting. Again we come in a distant 3rd behind Westshore and Steel City but beating eventual 12th place finisher Guelph. We pull into LI early Monday morning. Just in time for me to hop in the car and get dropped off at marching band practice, while still smelling like alcohol and cigarettes.

A very eventful 1st drum corps trip for a 15 year old kid. It's a wonder I stayed in the activity this long. :)

i did survive the 89 trip, tho barely.

a) someone started asking if we were there yet before we even left CV. b( every tunnel we hit cued bus football. c) every hour on the hour First Circle and Crossmen 86 drum solo were played. d) we almost ran out of beer by Indiana.

worst of all, the beer was Natty Bo. ampssuck

got to Chicago a way too early, killed time in a bus stop waiting for McD's to open learning 6 on 4 and 5/8 combo/Devils tag warmup.

ride to Dayton was very quiet....funny we won a DCA show for the first time since 83...and we slept.

Dayton was hot as #### on the turf, and to make it worse, someone in the tenorline ( we wont mention any Hackman names) had bad gas during Strawberry Soup.

the way home was fun, and we almost got arrested in Columbus, but i wont say why as charges may still be pending:P

Hummm, other memories of Bus #2 going from South Central PA to New Orleans in '78 (American Legion Champs).

Left about a half hour late (around 9:30 PM) 'cause one guy who lived real close either forgot the departure time or fell asleep (forget which).

About 2 hours out and someone got sick in the bus crapper and missed (Yuccck)

Driving thru Alabama the A/C filter clogged on Bus #2 (my bus) because of the dust kicked up by Bus #1. THEN we found out that only two windows (1 front/1 back) in the whole freakin' bus could be opened. Found this out in the middle of the afternoon.... in the middle of Alabama.... in the middle of AUGUST

Two hours from New Orleans (and 2-3 hours before DCI on PBS would start) we pull in for gas and the pump for our bus is broken. Takes 3-4 times longer to pump the diesel then it should. Picture bus load of hot, sweaty DC people who have been stuck on the bus for 20+ hours freakin' out.

Get to the motel and half the crew jumps into the pool before they hit the rooms.

Buses were brand new when we left, ours was well broken in by the time we got home.

PS - People on the first floor had problem with the water bugs(?) getting into everything. Heard the quote "Talk about Southern hospitality, those ####### bugs even open the door for ya".

i was smart....i flew down w/dad. tho to this day Tom beyer doesnt really remember Bourbon Street

i was smart....i flew down w/dad. tho to this day Tom beyer doesnt really remember Bourbon Street

He wasn't alone, forget who it was but we (me, Supermans brother Craig, Cheryl Beers and ??) ran into another group of WSM members. Started talking to them and suddenly one guy from the other group starts shaking his head and saying "How the #### did I get here?". Then he looks at his watch and realizes he's been in a Hurricane induced stupor for two hours and just started to sober up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's a story that doesn't involve fighting or drinking just good old fashioned fun...

In 1976 the Matadors had a very interesting and fun group of people, with Jim Centerino being the ring-leader for most of the mayhem. Not only was he a brilliant horn player and arranger, he was a brilliant practical joker also. One late night after a DCA show in Johnstown NY, a group from the corp ended up at a resturant in a very lonely part of a very lonely area of the country. Much of the staff was there, including a member who besides playing in the bari line also was the drill designer. Since this person now has positions of responsibility in drum corp organizations, he will remain nameless. After eating, the group went out to the parking lot, where this member decided to change into more comfortable clothes for the 3 or so hour ride back to Rhode Island. He popped open his trunk. and since the area was very desolate, started changing right there in the parking lot. When he was down to what he was born in (plus a large amount of body hair that he had accumulated over the years), Centerino reached into the trunk, grabbed the guy's wallet and keys and slammed the trunk shut. Running to his car, Centerino threw the wallet and the ignition key back. There is this poor guy standing there with the deer caught in the headlights look on his face. Needless to say the rest of the people there, feeling the guy's pain, got in their cars also, and drove off behind Centerino, leaving the member to drive back to Rhode Island au natural, which must have been a sight when he got to the toll booths.....

We did pay for this indiscretion at many drill practices after that, but the memory was well worth it....

• 1 month later...

Give me some time to remember,the OL` BRAIN an`t what it used to be!

Lynn Continentals (Lynn,Mass.) 63-68, 1st Bari

Boston Crusaders (Boston,Mass) 69, 3rd Bari

Renagades (Malden,Mass.) 70-73, 1st & 2nd Bari

Huricanes (Sheldon,Conn.) 74,Color Guard, Rifle Line

Sunrisers (L.I.N.Y.) 75,Color Guard Capt. & Asst.DM,81-85Front DM

Retired OLD guy!

Tony

Edited by TennTux